Dave W's 1/48 Greek F4E

First Name
Dave
IMG_3325.JPG IMG_3326.JPG IMG_3327.JPG IMG_3330.JPG IMG_3331.JPG IMG_3332.JPG The missing access panel hole is now filled in.And ive got rid of the step where the radome joins the nose. Next i painted the insides of the engine intakes white. It took 4 thinned coats to cover it . Im away from home and having to use a hairy stick. Normally i would spray these areas.The intakes will need filler like just about every other join on this kit.

First Name
Dave
IMG_3337.JPG IMG_3340.JPG IMG_3341.JPG

Ive glued the gun fairing to the nose and also the air conditioning pack intakes.The intakes are in two parts each side and need sanding down. The forward sections are larger than the parts they join to.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
air conditioning pack intakes
I wondered what those intakes were for. On my Fujimi, they were just square blobs of plastic, a bit of filing fixed that.
I'm reading some Phantom pilot memoirs at the moment, and the author talks about two air-conditioning units, one of which could, and often did, do some damage to the pilot's leg when it failed. I wondered if it one of these ?

First Name
Dave
I wondered what those intakes were for. On my Fujimi, they were just square blobs of plastic, a bit of filing fixed that.
I'm reading some Phantom pilot memoirs at the moment, and the author talks about two air-conditioning units, one of which could, and often did, do some damage to the pilot's leg when it failed. I wondered if it one of these ?
I was an airframe fitter in the RAF on Phantoms.A long time ago. One side of the nose had cabin air con pack and the other side was equipment air con.Cant remember which was which.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I was an airframe fitter in the RAF on Phantoms.A long time ago. One side of the nose had cabin air con pack and the other side was equipment air con.Cant remember which was which.
That's them. It was the equipment one he mentions could fail and 'do a bit' of damage.

First Name
Dave
IMG_3333.JPG IMG_3335.JPG IMG_3336.JPG IMG_3338.JPG IMG_3348.JPG The cockpit and rear bulkhead are fitted correctly.But theres a gap at the top of the rear bulkhead. So ive reinforced it with sprue, filled and painted it. The front instrument panel sits too low when the coaming is placed on. So that needs removing and the base building up.

Last edited:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Coming along nicely Dave. It's good that you are able to identify some of the lumps and bumps from your experience as a former Phantom maintainer. To the rest of us they're just lumps and annoying gaps. :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
I was involved in major overhauls of these things from 1976 to 1988. A long time ago so I don't remember a lot.Im looking forward to the 1/32 Hongkong models kit coming out. I will have to find the money for one of those!.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I was involved in major overhauls of these things from 1976 to 1988. A long time ago so I don't remember a lot.Im looking forward to the 1/32 Hongkong models kit coming out. I will have to find the money for one of those!.
You don't happen to know anyone called Jim Gaynor or Phil Kent do you?

First Name
Dave
IMG_3394.JPG IMG_3395.JPG More filler applied to fair the engine intakes into the fuselage.

First Name
Dave
A dry fit of the wing shows a gap between the wing and the fuselage. So ive spread the fuselage apart slightly with a piece of sprue. Then ive glued the wing on. Fit is better and just a bit of filler needed at the front of the wing.IMG_3285.JPGIMG_3397.JPGIMG_3398.JPGIMG_3399.JPG

D

dubster72

Gawd I hope that I don't have to spend so much time filling & sanding my one! :eek:
You're doing a grand job of fettling this one Dave.

First Name
Dave
Gawd I hope that I don't have to spend so much time filling & sanding my one! :eek:
You're doing a grand job of fettling this one Dave.
I which kit are you building Patrick?.Most Phantom kits need a bit of filler.Ive built 2 of the Hasegawa and the Revell kit as well as this one.And they all needed. A fair bit of filling and sanding

D

dubster72

I which kit are you building Patrick?.Most Phantom kits need a bit of filler.Ive built 2 of the Hasegawa and the Revell kit as well as this one.And they all needed. A fair bit of filling and sanding

I'm doing the Eduard Good Evening Da Nang kit Dave. I recall that Adrian built it a while back & had a bit of trouble with the intake area.