Dave W's completed Phantom SIG

First Name
Dave
Here's my finished Phantom.Its the 1/48 scale Revell kit of the F4C/D.I used an after market decal sheet to build an F4C flown by colonel Robin Olds during the Vietnam war.Olds started out flying P38's and P51's during WW2.He scored 12 kills in the European theatre in these aircraft.5 in the P38 and 7 in the P51.He missed the Korean War as he was deployed else where.During the war in Vietnam he commanded the 8th tactical fighter wing and personally shot down 4 Migs.His last 2 victories were in this aircraft,'Scat XXVII'.The badge on the nose is of the 433rd fighter squadron 'Satans Angels'.This Phantom was the last in a long tradition of naming his aircraft after a West Point room mate who washed out of pilot training.Despite it being an old kit with a few problems, I really enjoyed building it.The only thing that's spoilt it a bit for me is when I removed the canopy masking some paint came off the pilots canopy framing.Ive touched it in as best I can. But it's too close to the decals to sand it back.This tends to happen with vallejo acrylics if your not careful.The base isn't brilliant,but its better than photographing it on the kitchen work top.Ive tried to paint the figure to look like Old's complete with moustache.Its the first figure Ive ever painted and looks more like Groucho Marx!.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's very nicely done Dave. *****

Gern

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Followed the entire build and the result is stunning Dave. Another phantastic Phantom for the collection. Your figure does indeed look like Robin Olds, so no worries there. See this link for a 'badass' review of Robin Olds' career: Badass - Robin Olds

First Name
Dave
Thanks for your kind comments Joe.But I've a lot to learn about painting figures.

T

treyzx10r

Dave what a great looking Phantom and a truly awesome job with the finish! The figure truly does resemble the late great Olds! A very nicely done bird Sir 5 stars from me!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice job Dave. An all time classic aircraft for me.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb looking build dave , loving the seac camo ,and it does look just like Olds , his 'tache was indeed a bit of a sweeper!!! 5 stars from me mate! cheers ton y

C

Caledonia

Excellent job Dave, a well deserved 5 Star. Cheers Derek

M

mobear

fantastic Dave,love the moustache lol,5*s from me,

mobear

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Phabulos result Dave! you should be well chuffed with that!

Phive phat stars- *****

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's a great build and a lovely looking Phantom.

Did you see a recent programme on American aces? It featured Olds and his exploits in Vietnam plus 3 other US aces starting from WW1.

Anyway, the model looks fabulous. I think the figure is good too but would suggest perhaps thinning the eyebrows a bit to make him less Groucho Marks (that's an easy fix though). The figure is a nice touch.

You got a cool looking big jet there and 5 stars to go with!

Top notch.

Paul

T

TonyBv9

Great looking Phantom and pilot Dave. Top class.

Love the link to the Robin Olds biography. Attacking 50 Bf109s with just his wingman for company, did he really say: "You take the 25 on the left, I'll take the 25 on the right"? I hope so.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
A great looking Phantom Dave, and the figure looks just the job.

5 stars for the collection.

Tony.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Dave I'm truely sorry for the very late responce to this great build of yours Having done this kit myself i know what you have gone through to make it into the great looking Phantom in front of us 5 stars from me

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Hi Dave I'm truely sorry for the very late responce to this great build of yours Having done this kit myself i know what you have gone through to make it into the great looking Phantom in front of us 5 stars from me
Many thanks

P

Polux

Sorry from me too, Dave! I lost this thread!

Excellent build in all senses, and love the pilot figure.

Cheers. Polux

I'm sorry again...

First Name
Dave
No need to apologise chaps.Thanks to everyone for their nice remarks.