Dave w's Matchbox 1/32 Spitfire mk24

This looks very good, I've not got the experience to do a big kit justice, but I'll be looking forward to this

Jambo

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
View attachment 132552 That's the wing glued to the fuselage.As you can see the two assemblies need some encouragement to join together!.
That looks alright. I would sooner have a tight fit than big gaps to deal with later.

First Name
Dave
i thought I'd have another go at this kit. Soon after my last post of this build I was made redundant. So I lost interest in models for a while. I'm currently doing contract work in Manchester. So I've brought some modelling gear with me to keep me out of the pub in the evenings. First thing to do was fit the engine. I decided not to bother with the engine bearers .So departing from the construction sequence I glued on the engine cowling side panels. Then I juggled the engine in and set it in place with superglue. The top cowling is in two pieces. So I glued them together and then to the model. As you can see, there are some large gaps to deal with. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good to see this one back on the bench Dave. There's always the paint drying time to get to the pub :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
Let the filling begin!. Im using plastic card where i need to rescribe panel lines. And ive put a smear of squadron green on the underside.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I would seriously consider painting the markings, particularly the roundels, fin flashes etc. If you don't fancy the masking yourself there are pre-cut masks available, though they might cost more than the kit!

Painted markings will always look better in such a large scale. Here's a Trumpeter 1/24 Spitfire floatplane with a Grey Matter Figures tail, on which I painted all the markings.

Cheers

Steve

PRQ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Dave

Firstly, sorry to hear of your redundancy but Its good that you're working again. It's always a worrying time.

i'll be interested to see the outcome of this old kit, from the outside it doesn't seem all that bad. I know there's a few gaps but I've seen far worse. You also seem to be dealing with them really well.

The old Matchbox kits really take me back, with the 2 coloured plastics - they seemed really smart and cutting edge back in the day. Have you ever built the Revell kit, how does this compare? Or are they the same moulds?

Keep up the great work

Paul

First Name
Dave
Ive not built the Revell rebox of this Kit.I hear the nose cowling parts are a bit warped in it. No problems like that with this original kit. Kits like this with lots of filling needed used to be the norm for me. So i dont mind the extra work. Im also building the new Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito. All thats needed on that kit is a tiny bit of filler on a small part of the fuselage. So this kit satisfies my squadron green cravings!. As for being made redundant, i am now a self employed licensed aircraft engineer with my own ltd company. So far this year i havent had a week without work. And im earning much more money than in my last 'permanent' job, where i was under paid. The only down side is i have to work away from home. Im currently working at Thomas Cook in Manchester airport, which is a bit of a drive from Southend every week.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
As for being made redundant, i am now a self employed licensed aircraft engineer with my own ltd company

Great to hear you're doing well. I did pretty much exactly the same thing about 5 years ago - never looked back.

You're like me in terms of fixing the short comings of a kit. Sometimes that's the satisfying part of the model. Many can build the modern engineered kits but it takes patience and modelling skill to bring out the best in older kits.

All the best

Paul

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
used to love these old matchbox kits back in the day, think i had (at one time or another) -  Douglas Dauntless, Spitfire, Me109 and the puma. At the time my dad was working for weeks at a time away in scotland, so used to bring me one back as a present on each return. Did try for Tamiya's 1/32 F14 - instead got revells version instead, lol :smiling:

Looking good 

First Name
Dave
I've filled the gaps around the engine cowling with plastic card and filler. And I've glued on the under wing radiators and the air intake under the nose. Still some more filling and sanding to do.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Coming along nicely Dave, old fashioned building at it's most fun :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
After much filling and sanding its almost ready for primer. The canopy is typical of kits from this era. Its got a seperate frame and glass section. The glass needs a bit of filler along the back edge.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

N

noble

This looks like a lot of work, looking good though you seem to be taming the beast.

scott

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Looking good, a lot of hard graft put in there!!

First Name
Dave
Ive finally finished all the filling,sanding and rescribing. And ive decided to finish it as an all silver machine of no.603 sqdn in 1950. So ive sprayed it all over with Xtracolour Duralumin. I will give it a coat of alclad gloss clear before applying the decals.I managed to break the tailwheel assembly. So ive taken one from a 1/32 Revell Hurricane kit and glued it to a piece of brass tube to give it a bit of strength. It should be square section and not round. But it shouldnt be too noticeable once the tail wheel doors are on.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg