Dave W's Phantom

First Name
Dave
Think this is the right place to start my Phantom SIG build.No doubt Ian will tell me if its not!.Anyway, intending building a 1/48 F4C from the Vietnam war.I want to do the one flown by colonel Robin Olds.A fascinating character who also flew P38's during WW2.Havent got the kit yet,but I will use the Revell F4C/D which will be easy to get hold of.The problem is finding decals.After a bit of research I have found out 'Print scale' do a set.Currently out of stock at Hannants,But they are expecting some more in.So that's where I am at the moment.No kit and no decals!.But it's still only February.......

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TonyBv9

Nice one. I've seen a lot about Robin Olds on various TV docs.

Is it a ropey old photo, or was that Phantom parked under a tree full of loose-bowelled pigeons?

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Nice one. I've seen a lot about Robin Olds on various TV docs.Is it a ropey old photo, or was that Phantom parked under a tree full of loose-bowelled pigeons?
Looks like bird crap doesn't it? Think it's where the paints weathered.You can see where it's come off the rivet heads.Suppose I will have to try a bit of weathering.Not something I'm very good out.Found some one on line who sells the decal sheet I'm after.Will order one when I get home after work.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Dave. I'm glad that you found the decals you where after.

Sounds like an interesting project.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
Thanks Ian.Just ordered the decal sheet off the net from SGS model store.£1 cheaper than Hannants as well.Im doing the third one on the sheet.

Going to Bluewater with the wife tomorrow.So will see if Modelzone have the Phantom.

First Name
Dave
Haven't got the kit yet.But the decals just arrived through the post.Cost £7.10 inc postage.The white letters and markings are yellowed,which I'm a bit annoyed about.Will have to put them in the window.Hopefully we will get some sunshine before the end of this SIG build !.

Some interesting markings options on this sheet.I can see another Phantom being built after this one!.As for the kit, I've decided not to get it this month.My birthday is on 23rd March.So I will ask the wife to get it for my birthday.Shes good at finding things for the best price on the net.

First Name
Dave
Just received an email from SGSmodelstore apologising for the condition of the decals and giving me a full refund!.He says he hopes I can restore them.Good bit of business I reckon.Now, instead of never buying from him again I'm more likely to look to his site for stuff.Hes probably only about £5 out of pocket as well.

P

phalinmegob

nice result, did you complain or has he seen them on here?

First Name
Dave
\ said:
nice result, did you complain or has he seen them on here?
He asked for feedback.So I told him about the yellowing and sent him a photo of the decals.He immediately apologised,said he'd had a few complaints about Print Scale decals and said he was giving me a refund.

First Name
Dave
The wife's ordered my kit today.So I should be ready to start on my birthday (23rd)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What a lovely lady!

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
The wife's ordered my kit today.So I should be ready to start on my birthday (23rd)
You don't look a day over 23 either :biggrin: Look forward to your build, you are lucky to have a wife that can buy your kits.

D

Danny

Watch she dosnt buy you a new microwave by mistake Dave ! My Mrs bought me a tumble dryer for my birthday in March 2007, could have been because I bought her a petrol lawnmower for her Christmas !

Danny

First Name
Dave
It's my 55th birthday today and the wife has given me the Phantom I wanted.After a close inspection I'm rather pleased with it.Its got 1979 moulded on the bottom of the stabilator.So it's quite an old moulding.But it's very well detailed for the time.Ive made a start and glued the wings together.Some fine raised detail on the wings which I may describe.Not sure yet.The exhausts are devoid of detail inside.So I will have to come up with something to represent the afterburners at least.They need thinning as well.But that will mean loosing a bit of detail on the inside of the exhaust ends.

I

Gave my daughter a list of the paints I need for the camo scheme.And she kindly got them for my birthday.Only the man in the shop gave her 71.020 green instead of 71.026 the tan colour I need.Never mind.Be a while before I need them.

D

Danny

Happy Birthday Dave...Im 22 days older than ya !....glad to see the Phantom now in your possession...have fun !

Danny

Last edited:
T

treyzx10r

Many happy returns Dave! Looking forward to seeing this build out! cheers Trey!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Happy Birthday Dave! It's nice having a wife that feeds our obsessions in it.

Good to see that you got the kit you where after. I'm still waiting for some bits before I can button the fuselage up!

At this rate you'll all be finished well before I am.

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Happy Birthday Dave! Nice Phantom, can't wait to see yours develop. It looks like a nice kit.