Dave Ws Trumpeter 1/48 Mig-21MF

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
AAAAH - I'd put the decals on, and used some thin masking tape to paint the nosecone & dielectric panels. Despite all my care, the paint crept under the masking, and to make matters worse, the masking has lifted the metal finish around the nose, and on one side of the tailplane...........
decalled up.jpg
Despite immediate repair action, it looks like I'll have to redo the nose painting again
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
In hindsight, it would have been easier to paint the green first, mask it, and spray the metal finish next. Ah well, I'll know for any subsequent metal finish.
I've taken back the nose, using wire wool, and painted the green first. I'll leave it overnight, then mask the green, and spray the silver after. It's going to be much easier to touch up the green, than the silver!
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
What a bugger dave ! Im sure youll sort it no problem. Its looking good in the nat metal though . Must be something about mig 21’s , i cocked up my gb entry at the last hurdle , and had to re do the nose after i melted it by accident !!! , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Metal finished are a real pest to work with, but despite the issue, that's looking very nice indeed Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That's the way to go - I don't think that masking over a metal finish is a good idea ( unless you use Alclad II ), I used some low tack tape as well!
Anyway, I've redone the nose......
nose redone.jpg
Assembly will now move onto the underside, undercarriage, doors, air brakes, missiles and drop tank. You cannot use the centre drop tank, and show the rear brake open, so it's now closed.
The Mig-21MF is rapidly approaching completion, and I have learned a lot about using Vallejo Metal Color!
Dave

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Those plates will set it off the Mig nicely. Looking good so far. PaulE

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
If I recall correctly the Eduard paint masks include the right sized masks for the dielectric panels. I think I painted these panels on my Eduard Mig-21 first then used the masks before the final colours but mine was camouflage and not NMF.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The vast majority of parts are now fitted, apart from the clear bits. The undercarriage seems a little flimsy, but at least it's not a tail sitter! nearly fin 01.jpgnearly fin 02.jpg

A dry fit of the canopy shows the main part not fitting snugly - it seems that the ejector seat is sitting a bit high.................
I wonder how long that AOA sensor will last..........
I think that the next posting will be in the completed aircraft section!
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking good. It's a nice purposeful looking aircraft the 21. I was probably about 10 years old the last time I built one. I think I'm over due for another one.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Dave,
Nicely done. The metallic finish has come out nicely :thumb2:
Si

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
All bits added, now for a bit of weathering. The Natural Metal Finish doesn't take to normal washes very well ( it pools! ), so I am going to use a dark grey, well diluted, and fixed with a satin varnish.............................
pre-weather.jpg
It hasn't turned out as well as I hoped, but for a NMF with new paint it was always going to be a learning curve ( that's my excuse ), and I've found, and stumbled into most of the pitfalls. I'll post up a few pictures, when I've weathered it. I have another NMF aircraft in mind, a Su-7 in around 1985, serving with the Afghan Air Force ( strange decals! ). In between, I'm doing a Tamiya Tyrrell Honda in the F1GB................
Dave

T

TonyBv9

Looks nice. Those early jets from the 50s and 60s just look great to me. I've just bought some Vallejo metal for an F86 Sabre - that will be a first for me too.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tony,
couple of pointers, use the best primer, make sure of all seams, don't try to cover fully in one coat, take care when handling the finish, the Vallejo Metal Color is rather prone to show marks. Maybe it may harden off if you leave it a few days....................
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice job Dave, keep at it with the metal color they are a very good alternative to the ubiquitous Alclad. I found that leaving for a day or so before handling is best , the finish on my model was quite hardwearing once cured. Looking forward to the Su 7 , I take it its the OEZ kit ? (or maybe one of the reboxes , Kp,revell, mistercraft, smer) Ive got the original OEZ release and its quite a nice kit, like you though Ive got a resin seat for it, cheers tony

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tony,
it's the Smer reboxing - with the Afghan markings. I simply had to get the Pavla seat, as the kit one is bizarre to say the least. I also have the Smer Su-22, but that will be a camouflaged version.
Dave