Dave's 1/72nd Boulton Paul Defiant

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The first build completed since the move.

This is the new Airfix kit and an OOB, primarily painted using the Mr Hobby acrylics. I tried the Bare metal foil for masking and it came out reasonably well, I think I will improve with practice.

The kit goes together nicely with no real fit issues, one criticism is the gunner is in standard aircrew outfit rather than a GQ parasuit.

I now need to get back and finish my overdue Mig 21R.IMG_1447.JPG IMG_1449.JPG IMG_1450.JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I like it, but it reminds me I haven't finished my 'under a fiver' Cosford build of the old Airfix version of this!

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I did the 1\48 version of this and I found the gun canopy a challenge so I don't know how you did this one but that is nice.

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice build Dave. Looks good. I did the 1/48 like Peter and I too had trouble with the gun canopy.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Very nice Dave, nice finish.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for the kind words guys.

The turret was fiddly, but I found masking using the bare metal foil, rubbing it into the edges with a blunted toothpick then using a scalpel to cut to the edges was the easiest method I have found to date, short of buying the masks.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It looks nice Dave. Flying mode as well. Even better.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
one criticism is the gunner is in standard aircrew outfit rather than a GQ parasuit.
Its in the wash Wing Commander ! Top job Dave , it looks great on the stand too . Might have to try the bare metal foil method , ive read of a lot of people who use this , but never tried it myself , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Dave, great looking Defiant, I like it! I too have never tried the bare metal foil method, like Tony something I should attempt at some stage.