Dave's Revell 1/48 B24D Liberator

First Name
Dave
After several sessions of filling and sanding engine cowling joins ive finally got some paint on the wings.Two coats of Alclad grey primer to be precise.The fuselage will be next after I've glued on the nose transparency and masked it up.I was going to rescribe this model.But as the raised detail is very fine ive decided to leave it and just scribe on any detail lost during sanding.I saw this model done this way at Cosford.And it looked good to me.Ive found a photo of the actual aircraft Im modelling.The paint work looks very faded.So I'm going to have a go at replicating the finish on this model.

View attachment 106963

View attachment 106964

View attachment 106965

View attachment 106966

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That's a ropey old example indeed. Propellers look quite new though.. It will be a interesting challenge to re-create that finish.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That's great masking work Dave. You've saved yourself a few pounds, you can buy paint with that. Also, that seam removal is A1, you'd never know it was there to start with.

First Name
Dave
Tonight I finished masking the nose transparency. Then I glued it to the model. It's not a great fit and I ended up using superglue to hold it in place. Then I filled in the gaps with Gatorgrip. When that had dried I sprayed interior green over the framework. Then I sprayed Alclad grey primer on the fuselage. This showed up where I hadn't filled the gaps properly. So I've brushed some Mr Surfacer 500 on and left it overnight to dry. Before glueing the nose cone on, I had to fit the guns in place. Of course the inevitable has happened, I've managed to break them off!. Luckily there are spare guns in the kit that I can cut the barrels off and glue onto the model at the end of the build.

View attachment 107624

View attachment 107625

View attachment 107626

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Loving this one Dave , theyre a challenge sometimes but these old monogram kits can be so rewarding when youve got a decent result at the end. Looks like this ones been fighting back a bit more than usual but youve tamed it , cant wait to see the paint go on , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Dave. Guns on bombers are always a risk. One method is to cut the barrels off and glue them on after the painting is complete. Still a fiddly operation though.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks great Dave. Look forward to seeing how you weather the finish to that faded look.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 108446

\ said:
Looks great Dave. Look forward to seeing how you weather the finish to that faded look.
I'm going to lighten the olive drab with a little white and spray it in the centre of some panels.I did it on my 1/24 Spitire and was quite happy with the result. I've now put a coat of paint on the wings.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I

\ said:
View attachment 119070
I'm going to lighten the olive drab with a little white and pray it in the centre of some panels.I did it on my 1/24 Spitire and was quite happy with the result. I've now put a coat of paint on the wings.
I have plenty of Olive Drab leftover from my Dakota's, I would have been pleased to post it to you!

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I
I have plenty of Olive Drab leftover from my Dakota's, I would have been pleased to post it to you!
Thanks for the offer Rick.But I've got two tins.Will be enough for this model.