Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good Dave.

For the lightening of the olive drab, you might want to try yellow instead of white. Have a play and see which you think best.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Looking good Dave.
For the lightening of the olive drab, you might want to try yellow instead of white. Have a play and see which you think best.
Come to think of it I used yellow on my 1/24 Spitfire .I liked the result so will do it on this one.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
jeez, thats a big kit, going to be impressive when its finished

First Name
Dave
View attachment 108705

View attachment 108706

View attachment 108707

This evening I've had a go at fading the paint finish.Ive added some yellow to the olive drab and sprayed it in the centre of some panels.Last time I tried this I toned it down with a fine over spray of the base colour.Then after several coats of klear and Matt coat the effect was almost lost.So I'm not going to tone it down this time.This aircraft also had some medium green blotches on the wings and tail.Thats tomorrow's job.image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Mission accomplished, the fading is looking very convincing in these photos Dave.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Dave, that came out rather nicely. Good to see those conversion paint numbers, it confirms what I had down for my B-17F.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 109798

View attachment 109799

View attachment 109800

After painting the black de-icing strips on the tail surfaces I gave the whole model a coat of Klear. Then I applied all of the decals. The national markings on the fuselage sides took several applications of Microlsol to get them to settle over the wind deflectors forward of the gun positions.And I had to touch them in with paint where they split.image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good Dave and a pity about that decal splitting.

I think the best bet now is to cut the decal along the edge of the deflectors add some more sol so the decal sits flush to the sides so you don't see the split then paint the gap

First Name
Dave
View attachment 110444

View attachment 110445

This ones not far from the finishing line.Ive got quite a bit done since my last post.Whilst glueing the wings on I dropped the model.Only from about 6 inches onto my cutting may.But because of all the weight in the nose it was enough to break the nose transparency off.And it broke into two pieces.So I glued the broken pieces together and superglued them back onto the model.The join goes through the middle of a window pane.But I will just have to live with it. All that's left to do is build the gun turrets,attach the props and do some more weathering.image.jpg

image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Our daylight bombing campaign is nearly ready Dave :smiling3: Nice job on the repair.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking fantastic Dave , great work .You can always say the crack in the nose transparency was caused by a close Ak Ak burst !! cheers tony

D

dubster72

Looking good Dave, the broken section is hardly noticeable - I had to look hard to see it!

First Name
Dave
View attachment 112313

View attachment 112314

The tail gunners turret is moulded in two halves split vertically. And as the top of the turret on the real aircraft was a clear panel it's impossible to hide the join.There is an aftermarket Vacform canopy set for this model, but it's doesn't include the turret.Because of the shape it's probably not possible to mould it in one piece. So I've just sanded and polished the join. Then I painted on an imaginary frame to hide the join.image.jpg

image.jpg

First Name
Dave
View attachment 112318

View attachment 112319

View attachment 112320

View attachment 112321

View attachment 112322

View attachment 112323

View attachment 112324

View attachment 112325

Named after its original pilot,John Jerstad, who flew it on five missions,this plane carries a record of its colourful history. The markers represent a U-boat sunk in the Gulf of Mexico, five enemy fighters destroyed by the crew and a record of its bombing missions. The plane participated in the famous Ploesti oil field raid ,but was eventually lost over Austria on October 1st 1943.

The kit is an old Monogram moulding reboxed by Revell. It has raised panel lines which I didn't attempt to rescribe. I used oil paints diluted with white spirit to apply a bit of weathering. These aircraft received heavy oil staining on the wings in service. I've tried to represent this with Tamiya smoke and burnt sienna oil paint. I've also built the tractor that comes with the kit. I used Eduards cockpit detail set, but none of it can be seen. The money would have been better spent on some metal gun barrels. I also added quite a lot of lead to the forward fuselage and the model sits nicely on its tricycle undercarriage. no need for after market metal undercarriage as the kit items are strong enough to take the extra weight. If anyone thinks I've forgotten to paint the upper turret framing,the Consolodated A6 turret didn't have any metal framework!.

View attachment 112326

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

P

Polux

Superb work Dave!

Is a beauty and....a beast as well :eek:

Magnificent paintwork, I like it a lot!

Cheers

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Dave, I can't give you a GB thing because of the thread it's under. If you put it in the Completed Group Builds thread it will be noticed better. Great work though, love it, and great background history to the real thing.