Decal Advise

C

Crashnburn

Hi All

advise please i have bought a Ford Sierra RS500 kit (ebay) this is an old kit and the decals are all cracked and look ready to break apart if put in water so my questions are

Is there a way to save the kit decals ?

Is there a good place to look for newer replacement decals ?

thanks for reading

Crash

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
1/18 FORD SIERRA RS500 COSWORTH DECALS modified tuning on eBay (end time 05-Dec-10 20:25:02 GMT) Hi crash , try this link to e-bay ,someones selling decal sets for about£6 plus postage , hope this helps , cheers tony

F

Fenlander

I would replace them, not worth messing the model up when the decals are such a focal point.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
See if you can find "Liquid decal film" by Microscale. I have saved some decals from an old Monogram kit with the stuff. It's not readily available in the UK but I bet one of the online retailers has it.

Failing that you can always try applying a couple of coats of clear acrylic and hope that holds them together.

Cheers

Steve

M

m1ks

Well all the sensible replies are in so i'll weigh in with:

Just bin the decals, paint one front wing and a part of either rear panel in grey primer, sills halfords flat black, a Kev and Shaz green windscreen visor, then stick a scale wire coathanger in place of the aerial and you'll have a quite accurate representation of your typical sierra. :smiling3:

Or maybe that was just the estate I grew up on?

Decals are hit an miss with any vintage kit, if you're lucky then they'll ust have yellowed and a few days in a sunny window resolves that but if they've degraded to the point of cracking odds are you'll not recover them.

You could try scanning them and printing your own on decal paper?

C

Crashnburn

thanks all for some good advise and some not so good ! :thumbsup:

D

delmonteman

\ said:
you'll have a quite accurate representation of your typical sierra. :smiling3:
There's a WHOLE lot of difference between a "normal" Sierra and an RS500. I loved mine. I will still set fire to the little "darlings" that nicked it if I find 'em!

M

m1ks

\ said:
There's a WHOLE lot of difference between a "normal" Sierra and an RS500. I loved mine. I will still set fire to the little "darlings" that nicked it if I find 'em!
I'm sure there is, but it just goes to show how easy Sierra owners are to wind up. :smiling3: