Decal application problems

J

Jpeg6785

Hi Guys,

Any ideas where I'm going wrong.

After the base coat I use a semi-gloss clear coat. When I'm applying decals I'm now using Tamiya markfit strong as this appears to leave no marks on the paintwork (For now) I've tried the Vallejo decal fix system but it seems to leave marks all over the finished surface. The decals still just seem to sliding everywhere and dont fix down, I've tried being as light as possible with a cotton swab but to no avail, slide slide slide...….. even comes off on the cotton swab. Am I doing something wrong? would it be best applying them on a matte clear coat? or before a coat straight onto the base colour and then seal after with a clear coat?

Regards Adam

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Adam ,
Every one will have they’re own technique for dealing with decals and not all decals are alike.

The way I do them Is to paint model then apply a gloss varnish. Soak your decals in clean water and once loose on the backing remove them from water and gently lay one some good quality kitchen paper to suck up excess water.

I then wet down the area, where the decal is going, with Microsol and carefully slide the decal off the backing into place carefully positioning with a brush.
Once it’s where I want it leave it be for 20mins. Then I go back and add some more microsol with a brush Then leave for a while. I’ll repeat this until I’m happy that the decals are looking ok. Once everything is dry I’ll go over with another coat of gloss varnish and carry on weathering etc.....

I’ve never used Tamiya Markfit but I’m assuming it does the same as Microsol?
Hope this helps
Si

First Name
Steve
Hi Adam Si has given you great advice and this is the way i do it except i don't gloss varnish first, when i have applied the decals the same way as Si i give them a day or so to fully dry then a coat of Pledge Klear, please bare in mind though i only build trucks now.

Oh and i use Microsol and Microset.

Steve.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Adam
Sound advice from Si and Steve. I usually gloss coat before putting on decals. I wet the area where the decal is going with water. I put the decal onto a sheet of glass, face up, and use a pipette to wick water in around the edges. When it will move on the backing I then pick it up, backing as well, with tweezers and use a brush to slide the decal off the backing and into place. The brush can be used to add a little water if the decal won't slide and dried it will wick away water if the decal is floating. If you use your finger to move the decal make sure it is wet. I use Micro Sol like the others. One thing I do as well is once the decal is in place I use a damp brush to 'clean' the surrounding area to minimise staining. Staining is far more likely on a matt surface.
Jim

J

Jpeg6785

Thanks for all of your replies, I think where im going wrong is that im not ensuring excess moisture is removed prior to 'fiddling' with the decals. Im going to try following the guidance of Si and jim and leave the decal to sit before messing with them. Jims idea of wicking on glass sounds excellent as I suppose there's not masses of excess water for them to effectively float on.

Thanks Gents.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
There’s a wealth of information I’ve videos on YouTube, I found this one to be quite helpful -

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Adam
Sound advice from Si and Steve. I usually gloss coat before putting on decals. I wet the area where the decal is going with water. I put the decal onto a sheet of glass, face up, and use a pipette to wick water in around the edges. When it will move on the backing I then pick it up, backing as well, with tweezers and use a brush to slide the decal off the backing and into place. The brush can be used to add a little water if the decal won't slide and dried it will wick away water if the decal is floating. If you use your finger to move the decal make sure it is wet. I use Micro Sol like the others. One thing I do as well is once the decal is in place I use a damp brush to 'clean' the surrounding area to minimise staining. Staining is far more likely on a matt surface.
Jim
Morning Adam.
Jim suggested this method to me when I had problems of the decal rolling over on itself. . Far better than when I used a cup ! I use AK decal fix and the medium.
John