Decal removing from old plastic models HELP!!!

• Thread starter Eduardo Barriga
  • Start date
E

Eduardo Barriga

Hello my friends. I am in the process of restoring a 25 year old Monogram Grumman HU16 Albatross. I want to remove the decals and repaint the model but it has been impossible to remove the old yellowed decals. I have tried everything including Micro Scale decal removing liquid with no luck. Anybody out there has a better way besides using sandpaper or building the model again? Thanks a lot
EDUARDO

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Have you tried masking tape?
Stick the tape over the decals, press down as firmly as you can and then peel off. Normally this is emough to remove most decals (unless they're beneath many layers of gloss coat/sealing coat).

I suspect that your problem is that the decals lie beneath a generous top coat though but it's worth a shot.

Best of luck
Paul

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
If the decals were covered in a varnish, I'm afraid it is sand paper time.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Oven cleaner will remove the decals and the paint safely without harming the plastic. Simply soak it overnight in a container, then scrub it gently under water with a toothbrush or similar, and you will see all the old paint and decals simply wash away.

E

Eduardo Barriga

Hello my friends. Thank you very much for your help. The decals on my Albatross were not over coated. And yes, I have tried several types of tapes including: Masking, Normal Scotch tape, Magic tape, packing tape with no luck. I really did not think that a decal would stick so well on a model. Something I have not tried is oven cleaner. I will try this and let you know if I have any luck.
EDUARDO