Desert Diorama

W

WillHall

Hi. I'm pretty new to building dioramas and I would really appreciate some help on making a desert diorama. I would like to make a desert airfield diorama for a 1:48 me109 and another for a 1:35 panzer 2. Any advice on how to go about making these dioramas will be very much appreciated. Thanks

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

What sort of base are u using, what sort of scatter etc then any of us could give advice:smiling3:

W

WillHall

I have lots of insulation foam board and also mdf wood. I can easily buy scatter but at the moment I only have grass. I also have some das air drying modelling clay as apparently that's useful. Thanks

Will

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/some-old-warhammer-dioramas-sadly-they-be-gone.19221/ This link shows some old warhammer playboards I made for my lad. I make a lot of dios and the first thing to make is the base for the model scale that is intended, too small it will looked cramp, too big it will look lost, next is to get an idea of what bits and pieces you need to put on it.

Desert one is easy: A base. A area for the aircraft to sit on, fake concrete setting or the like. A desert setting surrounding the runway, this can be achieved by using sandpaper, sprayed desert colour then various sponges added, or, this what I do, I build it up using real sand-use PVA to attach, once dry, add more PVA nd more sand to build up areas, spray when done and sponge. Add some rocks and grass clumps.

May give you some ideas Will.

Si:smiling3:

N

noble

I used strained budgie sand from the pet shop, when put it down it was a little too yellow so I painted it using buff paint to get the tone I needed. Have a look at the after gazala diorama to give you an idea.

Scott

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Remember that desert airfields were quite bleak affairs to.

Here's a few snapshots to give you some inspiration.

some Bf 109s over fly an airfield, note tented living.

This is the headquarters building of I./JG 27

Aircraft could be dispersed in the desert, as the LRDG and later SAS would find and attack them.

Or in crude revetments.

Servicing and arming was usually carried out in the open

Those may give you some ideas and a feel for how these airfields looked. If you've got any specific questions just fire away.

Cheers

Steve