Dingo finished, just need a dio now!

F

Fenlander

Well the wonderful little Dingo MkIII from MiniArt has turned out to be a real joy to build and a fairly quick build to. OK, you need lots of hands but that would just make it easy lol.

I have tried a couple of things on this for the first time, mainly the chipping effect which turned out better than I thought. I wasn't going to get it as dirty as this but an idea came into my head and this is how it need to look. Don't know what I will do if I don't go with that idea lol.

Also Mig pigments on the tyres and underneath. This is the European Dust which has come out far too orange for my liking. I think I will stick to the much better value for money Promodeller ones n future, if John has any left in the shop, snap them up. You get a big tub and they are really quite good..

Anyway, here is the dirty little thing. I will be getting some personal gear, rucksacks etc to sling on it for the dio so it won't look so sparse.

Little bit of silvering in the photos but not to the naked eye thank goodness.

Sorry about the number of picies but I am getting right into the AFV stuff now.

Hope you like it so far, criticism welcome

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks excellent Graham

S

sprayman

Graham, just spot on, a great weathering job there, top job as always........perfect mate....:xyxthumbs::xyxthumbs:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Wonderful build Graham,it looks the dingo's bollocks. Love the weathering,the chipping is spot on too. Criticism? I can't see anyrhing wrong with it! Maybe something's the wrong colour LOL!

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What a little gem of a scout car. You made a fine job of that Graham.

If I may say one thing though, I think some of the division markings are a bit clean compared to the surrounding areas. Either you forgot them or you put the decals on after you weathered it. When I do that, I tend to just give them a swab "flypast" so it looks like they have been wiped over to get the worst of the muck off.

Other than that its perfect!

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

Very nice metalic effects there Graham. I like the differences between rusted finish and bare metal surface. Lovely wash and pigment effects as well. This turned out into a lovely model and, as you say, deserves a diorama.

R

rogue-one

fantastic graham. the paint job is perfect. all the weathering the chip marks, top stuff. did u get the chip marks by varnishing it then re-painting it and chipping away?

F

Fenlander

Thanks for the great comments guys. I personally think the pigments look wrong. As I said, I have used Mig pigments instead of my usual Promodellers. They don't work the same for me but that is just me.

Steve and Ian, so astute. Yes Steve, something is the wrong colour lol but I am not saying what (all of it to be truthful as I wasn't really sure what colour it should be. The instructions said "Dark Green" so I did then lightened it a bit.)

Ian, I didn't put the decals on until after the main weathering you are right. I didn't forget though honest. I am not so sure that markings would be allowed to get too bad, they do, after all, tell who the vehicle is with and although I don't think they were all pristine, I try not to mess them up too much so they were dusted after just to hit them a little bit. I do agree though, maybe they are still a bit too bright. When it goes on the dio, I can play with that as it will have to be matched into the groundwork anyway. Unless someone knows of a place in Normandy that has orange soil, it will have to change.

Bobby. The chip marks are so simple. I am not very clever at these things so I have to take the simple route. All I did was get a small piece of sponge ripped from a new sponge backed scouring pads. This I lightly dipped in un thinned Vallejo Dark Rubber from their Panzer Aces range. I then tapped this against a piece of card until it was giving me dots rather than splodges. I then dabbed it randomly along edges, high spots etc to get the effect. This was then toned down a bit when the oil filter went on. First time I have done it so quite pleased with the effect.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cracking build of a very interesting kit.

Very well painted and extremely well chipped!

I agree with Ian about the markings and your own observations re. the 'Orange', but both easily rectified.

Both very minor details on what is another very nice model. Well done Graham.

Ron

S

Sky Raider

Well you certainly did a fantastic job of that one Graham, well done. From the pics it look like the real thing. Cant wait for the Dio, then it will look even better, if its at all possible.

Keep up the good work

Andy

F

Fenlander

Don't hold your breath Andy lol, I have never built a proper diorama, started and binned a few but I will be doing one, God knows what it will end up like :laughing:

S

sprayman

Will you be having another vehicle with it Graham, or just some figures.......once again great job.

B

Bunkerbarge

Just putting it on a suitable base with a couple of crew would really nake the model come to life. It only needs a bit of grass or mud and a signpost and you instantly have a little scenario.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
By jingo thats a fine looking dingo! Excellent job graham , especially considering all the detail packed inside. The chipping and weathering is great and personally i wouldnt worry about the orange tint to the wash, Heres an example- the soil where i live in sheffield is just normal brown yet in worksop,just 10-15miles away its sandy and a vivid red orange ,so the soil in normandy could probably vary just as much. top job mate , cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Keep any base or dio simple Graham. As Richard said, just a muddy track, a bit of grass and some tufts here and there. Driver and radio guy looking at the sign and a map maybe?

I would not be to bothered with the red mud either.

I might just get me one of those when some of the other projects are out of the way.

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Thanks for the ideas guys, once again I am 'over egging the pudding' in my mind. I think of something that will be too complex for me to achieve. Your ideas have grounded my thinking again, cheers for the support.

'over egging the pudding' means making it to complicated for those who do not understand our 'quaint' British expressions

D

dm73

Lovely looking dingo Graham, only a complete scale version of Caen would do this justice:emo: you know you want to

B

Bunkerbarge

The trick is Graham not to fix it to the base. That way you can remove it from the 1/48th diorama of Caen and stick it back on it's muddy track when you want the garden back to yourself!!