Dinky Shadow Mobile Restoration

E

EnglishDeath

Hi All,

Newb here. Just restarted my modeling, it's been a few years. But thought it would be a good way to get me and my son of the xbox....

Found a very old and extremely battered Dinky Shadow Mobile I thought would make a good project. As it's a Dinky it is a die cast. So any ideas how to clean to paint off. I'm thinking of car paint stripper, then a rough sand down followed by a primer coat and then onto the main coat.

Any one got any idea what colour it should be? I have a very very small Konami model that is sort of grey/silver but I have seen these as a very light metalic blue.

Any advise is welcome.

B

Bunkerbarge

Hi and a warm welcome to the forum, another returns to the hobby after a period of absence and starts to pass on knowledge and expertise to the next generation, that's what it is all about for me and what got me into it all those years ago.

As for the Dinky model, paint strrippers should generally be OK but I would test a sample area first just to ensure that there isn't a reaction with the metal. There are a number of modellers who advocate brake fluid for removing old paint from polystyrene so that may prove to be a useful possibility for you and that does not damage the plastic. I wouldn't worry about rubbing it down then as the cast surface of the metal should be good enough to give you a decent gloss finish. I don't even think that Dinky used primers but if you start with a good primer then you should be able to achieve a perfect finish.

I'm a bit intrigued by your choice of ID though. We have been quite proud for a number of years now of the quiet, respectful and polite forum we have here where members from all over the world come together and share thoughts on the hobby. Perhaps you could explain the meaning of the ID and reassure us that you intend fitting in with this philosophy.

T

Turdbaby

\ said:
Hi All,Any one got any idea what colour it should be? I have a very very small Konami model that is sort of grey/silver but I have seen these as a very light metalic blue.

Any advise is welcome.
First off, good luck with this, I would love to see how you get on.

The colour should be a metallic light blue as seen on the Project Enterprise models.

DINKY must have bought a job lot of green paint, or perhaps no one in their R&D department bothered to watch the show. Can you believe that they even made Thunderbird 2 in blue!!!

That was UK manufacturing in the 70's for you..

Oh! I've just read the last post about your ID, ooops, hope he doesn't notice mine!!! Peace and love my friend!

Last edited:
B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
First off, good luck with this, I would love to see how you get on.The colour should be a metallic light blue as seen on the Project Enterprise models.

DINKY must have bought a job lot of green paint, or perhaps no one in their R&D department bothered to watch the show. Can you believe that they even made Thunderbird 2 in blue!!!

That was UK manufacturing in the 70's for you..

Oh! I've just read the last post about your ID, ooops, hope he doesn't notice mine!!! Peace and love my friend!
I noticed yours a long time ago and whereas it may be unecessarily crude and immature it doesn't worry me as much as the possible implications of this one does.

P

philphy

Hey English, Just a note to say I'll look forward to seeing what you have done with the Shadow? As I have one also up in the loft... The blue paint has peeled of that aswell over the years... Im looking for a replacent rocket for it though...?