Diorama Advice 1/35

First Name
Robert
HI all, just wanting some advice for a diorama I have in mind at the moment. At present I'm building a 1/35 Dragon Hetzer, and want to do a diorama ( "laying in wait") with the Hetzer partially concealed in a hay bail/ stack ( have the model for the hay build.

What I have found out through ref is Hetzers were used on all fronts 1944. I'm thinking of a country road junction with the hetzer with hay and possible French/ German country building/ barn and behind all that a few soldiers resting etc maybe a motorcycle or other vehicle. However can't seem to get the base started or find the buildings. In my stash I have a selection of german soldiers in 1/35 scale so I can sort that out but what do I start the base off with ( wood what type ? ) making the country road etc ( base to start moulding ? Putty or clay?

It's like I know what I want but I have never built a diorama from scratch before and the wife says " not too big"

So help please if possible

Thanks Robert

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
First off Robert, do you have any other models that you could do a small base? That way you can get a feel for what to do and how to position etc. Not wanting to put you off this dio as it sounds superb but your question seems to be that you are lost before you even start...so a larger dio may not be the way to go, a smaller base may help you.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Robert
\ said:
First off Robert, do you have any other models that you could do a small base? That way you can get a feel for what to do and how to position etc. Not wanting to put you off this dio as it sounds superb but your question seems to be that you are lost before you even start...so a larger dio may not be the way to go, a smaller base may help you.
Si:smiling3:
Hi SI thanks for the imput. I have a couple of tanks I built ages ago ( wirbelwinFlak ) and a Stug) and a few more not finished yet ( tiger 1 )

I understand where your coming from as too big is too confusing and wil take forever. my ideal size would be no bigger than the box the kit came in ( keep it simple eh )

First Name
Richard
Hi Robert,

Here is a start, take an A4 paper and put the Tank and figurines on it, to get a feeling of the size you need for your diorama.

Then you can draw in he street or buildings on it to see if its ok, with that setup you can play around until you are satisfied.

Take a piece of wood, thickness 5mm would do, put some sides on it (about 1 cm high), i bet you can get them in some wood dealing shops.

An alternative for this is a nice picture frame.

View attachment 104666

After building or buying the frame you put some tape over the sides so they don't get dirty.

Then you can put clay over the bottom of the frame about as high as the sides go, after doing that you can model in the ground works, using knives, old tracks, wheels, a ball of aluminium foil from the kitchen, all these things can be used o make a texture in your clay.

There are lots of other ways to do it, but this is a simple one.

In the diorama section of the forum you will find allot of other ways.

Hope this helps a little to start you off on your quest to the first diorama.

Cheers Richi

a4-picture-frames.jpg

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
First things first, lets crawl and walk a bit before we go for the sprint, one wouldn't want to poke the tiger before he pets the kitty {oh brother:oops:} one simple way to make an impressive base is to purchase a cheap but nicely edged picture frame 9x11 or so. Leave the glass in, if a natural earth is to be your base, just use the real thing - just sift it out, mix with white glue {Elmers Glue} and water to the consistency of oatmeal and spread it about. Takes 24 hrs. or so to dry so you have plenty of time to work with it. be liberal with glue, you want it to dry nice and hard. Will bond to glass like steel so no worries there. After that it can be dark washed and highlighted with the dry brush technique. Be sure to set your vehicles or what ever when about half set just to make their impressions in the ground ,trackways etc... Just have it planned out in advance a bit. theres a good start! :smiling3: Always willing to help a newbie so peck me up any time .....Jim

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Hi Robert,
Here is a start, take an A4 paper and put the Tank and figurines on it, to get a feeling of the size you need for your diorama.

Then you can draw in he street or buildings on it to see if its ok, with that setup you can play around until you are satisfied.

Take a piece of wood, thickness 5mm would do, put some sides on it (about 1 cm high), i bet you can get them in some wood dealing shops.

An alternative for this is a nice picture frame.

View attachment 114909

After building or buying the frame you put some tape over the sides so they don't get dirty.

Then you can put clay over the bottom of the frame about as high as the sides go, after doing that you can model in the ground works, using knives, old tracks, wheels, a ball of aluminium foil from the kitchen, all these things can be used o make a texture in your clay.

There are lots of other ways to do it, but this is a simple one.

In the diorama section of the forum you will find allot of other ways.

Hope this helps a little to start you off on your quest to the first diorama.

Cheers Richi
Hi Richi thanks for the advice that's exactly what I had in mind size wise and all. I had looked at online dioramas ie just paint and place tank etc but that's too small, I'm prob going to regret this but I want to do it proud and I'll post some pics once I get the base underway ( hetzer should be ready soon once I finish weathering and get the tracks sorted

I don't want to get too intense with this diorama build but I want it to tell a story and still searching for a building to get the scene right?

Cheers Robert

First Name
Robert
\ said:
First things first, lets crawl and walk a bit before we go for the sprint, one wouldn't want to poke the tiger before he pets the kitty {oh brother:oops:} one simple way to make an impressive base is to purchase a cheap but nicely edged picture frame 9x11 or so. Leave the glass in, if a natural earth is to be your base, just use the real thing - just sift it out, mix with white glue {Elmers Glue} and water to the consistency of oatmeal and spread it about. Takes 24 hrs. or so to dry so you have plenty of time to work with it. be liberal with glue, you want it to dry nice and hard. Will bond to glass like steel so no worries there. After that it can be dark washed and highlighted with the dry brush technique. Be sure to set your vehicles or what ever when about half set just to make their impressions in the ground ,trackways etc... Just have it planned out in advance a bit. theres a good start! :smiling3: Always willing to help a newbie so peck me up any time .....Jim
Thanks Jim sounds like a perfect plan of action ( was the same used for "furious" build ( awesome)

Oh my tiger is in the garage as I tried to zimmer it using milli put and only got front plate done so left it as is for time being ( one day tiger will come out )

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Thanks Jim sounds like a perfect plan of action ( was the same used for "furious" build ( awesome)
Oh my tiger is in the garage as I tried to zimmer it using milli put and only got front plate done so left it as is for time being ( one day tiger will come out )
Yes it was, glue dries clear, gets hard as stone.

plowed field effect was accomplished by dark washing furrows and highlighting ridges ;)

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Yes it was, glue dries clear, gets hard as stone.
plowed field effect was accomplished by dark washing furrows and highlighting ridges ;)
Also check my dio "Crocodile Rocks,Better Pics" in completed diorama forum to see a bit of "street" work. All scratch built. Will also try to help you through when and if you decide to take something like that on .....Cheers....Jim ;)