Diorama Books.

A

Awins

Can anyone recommend or suggest any books to a diorama newbie please.

L

Lubusheshka

i would give you an article in model magazine,but it is on russian language

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Alan, there is no substitute for 'Hands on'. I suppose publications are fine. Not having read any, I would imagine they are in a different world from you and I, and would probably be a little intimidating, making you think "I'll never be as good as that." You might even try and copy from a book.....Fatal! You will develop your own style in your own time.

You really need to get down and dirty from the outset.

Have some fun and have a play. Start with a small base and do something simple:-

A road with a grass bank and ditch. A simple flat bridge. A wall. Just make a start, post your progress, ask a question on here and folks will guide and help you.

Even after reading about dioramas, you will still have to make a start with the real thing. To my mind the best way is to get stuck in straight away. You will be surprised how quickly you will gain experience and start to improve your skills.

Don't be afraid to ask. This place is stuffed full of talented modellers who will help all they can. Also, have a scan on here for the various tutorials and diorama builds.

Ron

D

Deleted member 4203

I agree with Ron, posting a thread asking for advice and showing your progress will help not only yourself, but people who are looking for help but don't want to ask :smiling3:

Blair

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

What dubster72 said.

I have a few of the Verlinden publications from the mid '80s... his first three or four. I also have Shepard Paine's "How To Build Dioramas," published by Kalmbach books.

As far as actual processes and techniques, I found Paine's book to be a bit better. He talks quite a bit about different techniques, but where I think his work shines, is the ability to tell a story. He talks quite a bit about planning, layout, and the message or story he is trying to convey.

Both books have some great photos.

D

dubster72

Well many years ago, I had Monograms 1/48 B -17 as a Christmas present. I was about 13 & the kit was way above my limited abilities (some things never change!)

But in the box was a glossy colour booklet by Shep Paine, showing how he build the Fortress & made a dio of it just after crash landing.

That was what really got me into scale modeling.

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

That is great. I still have that one as well as some of the others from some of the armor kits. I have said it in various posts as well as one of my Youtube videos saying that very thing. Those Tips For building Dioramas showed me how much more a person could do with a model.