Dirty RAF Aircraft

D

Drifter

I concur, with the Mosquito they found it was just as effective to lower the landing gear.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I concur, with the Mosquito they found it was just as effective to lower the landing gear.

A feature designed into the F-4U. The dive brake was the main landing gear and the dive brake control lowered it without lowering the tailwheel/hook. It could be extended at speeds up to 300 mph (IAS).
I remember that this did cause a change in pitch, but I can't remember which way (probably nose down) :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Mmmm! this is a bit of an old chestnut.

I think it is safe to say that the surface finish of aircraft,particularly fighters,was kept in as good a condition as operational circumstances allowed. Here is a list of dos and don'ts from a manual circulated to ground crew during the war. Of particular interest is #12

In 1942 maintenence of the new smooth finishes was causing concern to the Air Ministry and manufacturers as evidenced in the final paragraph here. It was thought that it could be done better.

Both these documents are courtesy of the hard work and research of Edgar Brooks.

Aircraft undoubtedly became tired and worn but a dirty aircraft would be cleaned in pretty short order. You can find evidence of aircraft which are quite mucky particularly during periods of high work loads so it's really up to you.Remember that all service aircraft spent far more time on the ground,where they could be cleaned and serviced,than they did in the air.

Cheers

Steve

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve I came across this while I was looking for ref material and it posed a question for me. I can understand that a fighter would get more maintenance cleaning than say a Halifax or a Stirling. As you have said the aircraft would at some points be cleaned but I was thinking what about the Aircraft at sea? Like the Seafire/ Firefly/ Swordfish , Albacore, Bareacuda, Wildcat/ Hellcats etc etc. Not sure if these Aircraft woulD have been cleaned as much? Saltwater would be a distinctive element all the time and washing with clean water would be a waste of resources in wartime?
I may be thinking a little out the box here but do you see my point.
I've seen some rather nice weathering on sea going A/C and would this be more realistic or should they all be pristine

Regards

Robert