Dispensing rattle cans for use in airbrush

First Name
colin
Hi James I've never had to thin rattle can paint for use in my airbrush but it depends on needle size I normally use a 0.4mm

First Name
colin
Should be just be careful how you transfer it I normally use a straw to spray it into a clean empty ain't jar then give it a good stir before I put into my airbrush.
James do you use a compressor because canned air propellant can react with the propellant in the rattle can and cause the paint to Bloom
HTH

D

dubster72

Decanting a rattle can is easy as long as it's done carefully. A cloth or something similar over the join between the straw & the valve helps prevent unwanted stains on the carpet etc :smiling3:

However, the most important consideration is to leave the decanted paint for a good few hours, so that the propellant can bubble off. If you don't... Captain Cockup awaits!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I am not sure why you would need to do this given the wide range of paints available now ready to be used immediately from an airbrush. Decanting seems a messy business to me best avoided!!!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Whenever I've decanted spray paint it's always required thinning a little. That said, I always go by what the paint looks like in the jar. I try to get all my paint to be the consistency of milk,this is of course a rough guide but is surprisingly effective. You should see this consistency in the way the liquid runs from the container sides.
Hope this helps
P

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think Barry that sometimes the colour you want, if you are doing a car, is easier to get your hands on in a car spares shop than trying to find it "airbrush ready"
And as well both know an airbrush does give a bit more control than a rattle can...

Re decanting. See if the spray top from an old WD40 tin fits the paint can. They have a top that can hold a straw. Remember to leave the decanted paint open to de gas.

First Name
colin
I use some of them and yes they are very good. I normally use a 0.4 needle and I don't need to thin them.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Remember to leave the decanted paint open to de gas.
Why do you have to leave it to de-gas? Doesn't the dissolved gas disperse when it leaves the nozzle? After all, it doesn't bubble if you spray it straight onto a car.

Forgive my ignorance, I've never tried decanting the paint into an airbrush.

Pete