Doculam for covering aircraft

D

duncan

Anyone tried "Doculam" for covering small models. It is the material used in photo-labs for laminating finished prints. Comes in various gauges 38 micron, 75, 125 micron,but only transparent, no colours, seems to take Halford`s acrylic car spray cans OK. Great shrink rate, has adhesive just like normal model films such as Solarfilm but is a fraction of the weight. Gloss or matt. Bad news is that it comes in 50 metre rolls, so club purchase only (or a lifetime of building !) Cheap at £17 a role. Might be worth scrounging sample at local pro photo finishers. UK supplier is Murodigital www.muro.co.uk based in Weston-super-Mare. They export to Europe dont know about rest of world.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Anyone tried "Doculam" for covering small models. It is the material used in photo-labs for laminating finished prints. Comes in various gauges 38 micron' date=' 75, 125 micron,but only transparent, no colours, seems to take Halford`s acrylic car spray cans OK. Great shrink rate, has adhesive just like normal model films such as Solarfilm but is a fraction of the weight. Gloss or matt. Bad news is that it comes in 50 metre rolls, so club purchase only (or a lifetime of building !) Cheap at £17 a role. Might be worth scrounging sample at local pro photo finishers. UK supplier is Murodigital [url']www.muro.co.uk[/url] based in Weston-super-Mare. They export to Europe dont know about rest of world.
***Duncan,this must be the material I have seen the photo refinishers using in those open plan in-store labs,I wondered what it was at first,and now I know thanks to this ? next time I go and collect my prints I will ask the blonde behind the counter for a sample,it sounds like the modern equivalent of the old microfilm except without the hassle of floating dope etc on water,anyone remember that messy stuff ?

D

duncan

Last time I asked a blonde for a sample I got my face slapped !:bash: I reckon Doculam would be heavier than the old dope and castor microfilm but no wrinkles or sagging between the ribs. It goes drum tight. Ideal for indoor and smallish outdoor models. I`m trying some of the 35micron stuff on a Norvel powered "Microbe" 28inch span, so will find out fuel proof capabilities, "heather-proofness" and give a report soon.

Last edited: