AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Taken from the Hannants website;

Hannants News: 12/02/13

Enamel paints...

Following recently completely unannounced new rules we regret we can no longer despatch certain items through the post by Royal Mail. These include Xtracolor and Humbrol enamel paints, Alclad products, liquid glues etc etc. Many of our orders are having these items removed and destroyed and then they are returning the rest of the parcel to us. ParcelForce say they can still accept them for now. If you put any of the affected items into your cart you will not now see the cheaper Royal Mail postage options. We will refund on any of these items in your orders that are alraedy placed. Acrylic paints are not affected though we are only allowed 4 pots maximum per order now. This is to the UK and Overseas. We do realise that this is all ridiculous but sadly there is nothing we can do.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats a bummer.

Ian M

PS Having just been on Royal Mails, web site, I can conclude that it is still allowed to send a letter. Every thing else is banned!! lol.

In these days of shops closing, increased competition, internet shopping, I think that the people behind these rules/laws, seriously needs there bumps felt.

Ian M

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
i work for royal mail and i find it disgusting that they wont let these products through the post so now we have to have a courier bring me some glue and a little bottle of paint..the company(royalmail) really is trying to lose business..

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
They deserve to lose a lot of business. What nonsense.

The answer is to buy in bulk less frequently and use private delivery services. Good news for them.

C

Cooperman69

Sounds like its being set up for privatisation to me. Announce you can no longer do certain business, next year the profits are through the floor, no longer viable to run the business as a public concern..... sell to the French, Germans or Chinese!

This has been going on in other hobbies I do. Royal Mail will no longer take this or take that due to whatever.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
As someone who has been directly involved in privatisation processes in the past and being a great supporter of it, I can assure you that this is very unlikely anything to do with it. They would want to maximise revenues to prepare for privatisation not reduce them. The RM are under a lot of competitive pressures anyway and they cannot afford to lose out on business. This is more likely to be caused by the 'dead hand' of public service thinking and beaurocratic foolishness.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
It's actually probably got to do with Health & Safety along side COSHH. Sometimes common sence is overlooked whilst red tape is extended

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
As a business customer I've not been informed of the change, in fact I was just reading something to the opposite, it might be Hannants can't be bothered with small orders as there isn't enough profit in them.

This is what bob at MDC sent me

Royal Mail revising ban on mailing perfume and aftershave | Post & Parcel

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
And if they do stop people sending things out I would use myhermes their prices aren't bad just takes a little longer.

T

tecdes

\ said:
Thats a bummer.Ian M

PS Having just been on Royal Mails, web site, I can conclude that it is still allowed to send a letter. Every thing else is banned!! lol.

Ian M
I like that Ian.

I have even heard they are banning explosives. Seems the stuff can give you a headache but they may as a concession allow it if it accompanied by two paracetamols. Bit far fetched I thought !

Laurie

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm just waiting for the line from Hannant's, "We only have one left in stock but you can't have it in case someone else needs it."

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
Taken from the Hannants website;Hannants News: 12/02/13

Enamel paints...

Following recently completely unannounced new rules we regret we can no longer despatch certain items through the post by Royal Mail. These include Xtracolor and Humbrol enamel paints, Alclad products, liquid glues etc etc. Many of our orders are having these items removed and destroyed and then they are returning the rest of the parcel to us. ParcelForce say they can still accept them for now. If you put any of the affected items into your cart you will not now see the cheaper Royal Mail postage options. We will refund on any of these items in your orders that are alraedy placed. Acrylic paints are not affected though we are only allowed 4 pots maximum per order now. This is to the UK and Overseas. We do realise that this is all ridiculous but sadly there is nothing we can do.
Something with Hannants statement doesn't seem correct, they said Royal mail have removed and destroyed products, to do this Royal Mail would have to had opened the packets, the Post Office Act 1953 prohibits the opening of 'any postal packet' which ought to have been delivered to another person, that includes Royal Mail staff, and then they said "ParcelForce say they can still accept them for now" so if they can why are they removing stuff?

First Name
Michael
Is it just me or do Hannants exists in some sort of parallel universe?

They seem to do a lot of nonsensical things. M

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I've found this, I think it includes everything, it seems you can send anything as long as it's paper, apart from lottery tickets :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I was under the miss-guided impression that the only people empowered to open any mail other than the receiver, was the Customs people. And then only if they have due reason to suspect contraband.

So if the Post Office are opening and destroying peoples mail, are they not in fact breaking the law.

It seams to me that Hannants have found yet another reason to not send people their orders.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
I've not had any trouble with the much maligned Hannants.My orders have always been sent to me promptly.My last order was delivered between Christmas and new year,which I was most impressed with.Mind you,I haven't ordered any paints or adhesives from them.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Generally they are pretty good. Their postage is a bit high at times- One thing that I moan about a lot it their minimum order for overseas orders. Which is just under the price of an average kit. So a bottle of glue or pot of paint to bring it over the limit.

If I need something that is only at Hannants, I normally ask John at the Scale Model Shop to get it in with his next order from them and he then sells it to me. Much better service.

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
... it says on this list (P24) that enamels are classed as flammable and therefore can't be posted so maybe Hannants aren't at fault. I also thought that it was illegal to open post addressed to someone other than yourself.

Has anyone thought to check the chemical composition of the glue used on stamps and envelopes? Betcha a chemist could show they were dangerous!

Gern

T

tecdes

I would not go with Hannants until I had exausted all others.

When into my first year of model making the Managing Director told me that they were only interested & existed for the experienced model maker.

I thought that was a jolly good way of making sure he did not get this type in the future.

Also think that their site is a real mess. You just cannot browse their site your only option is a specific item. People like to browse & online shopping is no different to walking into a shop for a look around.

On John's site you can browse & I like that.

Laurie

Just add that Michael you have confirmed my view a different planet.

E

exLisburnman

[quote name=tecdis funny.

s' date=' post: 155655]I like that Ian.

I have even heard they are banning explosives. Seems the stuff can give you a headache but they may as a concession allow it if it accompanied by two paracetamols. Bit far fetched I thought !

Laurie

LMFAO. That is FUNNY.