Dog Green, Omaha Beach. Second Phase. The Assault

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I had intended to back pedal a bit, but 'cos the weather is slowly improving I'm getting vibes from 'Her' and she is leaving camping books lying around, so...

Here is the start of the 1/35 scale Dog Green second phase 'The Assault'

Darren, Bobby and the others are all off the beach and attacking the enemy M.G. positions so as I intended to do something along those lines from the start, I was just going to have a German position in a depression being attacked.

For the base I had intended to use a small tray that you get stuff from the Deli in, but I found this 6"x9" plant tray in the greenhouse...Then it came to me, a ready made bunker!! So I hacked it about to put a slope to the ground and also simulated a very lucky direct hit on the roof, then spread my usual stuff on.

I haven't based it on any pictures, it's just imaginary.

I decided a small, sandy path would look o.k.. I ran a line of PVA along then sprinkled sand on, turned the thing over, tapped it to remove the excess.

I finally painted any white bits on the bunker with Matt dk. grey acrylic.

Loads to do yet, add detail to the bunker, some foliage, barbed wire, choose figures and who knows what else that might come into my nut!

At least we're off the beach, and running...

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 30633

View attachment 30634

View attachment 30635

View attachment 30636

View attachment 30637

View attachment 30638

View attachment 30639

Omaha 'Assault' 005.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 008.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 002.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 001.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 004.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 006.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ron mate you deserve a blue peter badge for your services to creating stuff from household objects! Looks great , and free too! keep it up mate ,cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Thats very nice Ron. What's the scale? 1/35 I would think?
Tony, you can talk, bragging what you can do with a plastic bottle. Probably make your eyes water anyway!

Sorry Adrian, yes it is 1/35. I'll amend the thread starter. Thanks for pointing it out, I should have included it to start with...

Glad you both like the early progress.

Cheers,

Ron

R

Richy C

Thats fantastic Ron , such a simple and cheap concept but you`ve made a dio base that a well known company would charge £50 for , great work mate looking forward to the next stage

Richy

D

dm73

Great start Ron, watching your builds is making me want to get back in the shed, just got to sort the power out as its dark and cold out there at the mo

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like a good start there Ron. What a great idea for a bunker!

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Little update for you....Just been having a play with the bunker damage.The reinforcing bars are domestic electric wiring and the rubble is from my drive.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 30664

Omaha 'Assault'.jpg

R

rogue-one

hi ron, great start. i've pretty much been doing the same all day, polystyrene all over my floor, lol.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
hi ron, great start. i've pretty much been doing the same all day, polystyrene all over my floor, lol.
Thanks Bobby, also have you noticed polystyrene's remarkable magnetic qualities, particularily on fingers, jumpers and carpets!! lol

Thanks to you too Allyne for your post.

Cheers,

Ron

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
It's a pleasure watching you produce wonderful dioramas like this Ron. I learn so much from them.

Oh and this is my 1000th post on the forum :smiling3:

S

sprayman

Ron you just see an item, and just create a dio, fantastic, look forward to seeing it through.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys, if my work, along with anyone elses, is of some use, then everyone gains and everyone is happy.

Happy 1000th Allyne!

Just another small update. I have built a door frame + door, both removed due to the shell hit, and a knocked up stepladder built from beach flotsum, all out of scrap balsa. Bit more damage and detail to do before I move on to the foliage and wire...

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 30676

Omaha 'Assault' 009.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'm finally happy with the bunker roof. I'm leaving it 'cos I started to mess with it...and I was breaking my no.1 rule...DON'T FIDDLE! I'll have a fresh look when the diorama is nearly done, just in case...

I have also started having a go at the barbed wire. I am trying to get the look of the stuff as I think it would appear after a couple of years getting battered by salt and bits of things getting caught up on it. Nearly there I think.

For some idea of scale, the wire is thin domestic stuff and the posts are cocktail sticks, broken in two so the points are easy to shove in.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 30692

View attachment 30693

Omaha 'Assault' 010.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 011.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Great stuff Ron. How have you done the barbs on the wire?

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Last night I started work on the foliage and a bit of painting on the bunker where I wasn't happy with it.

Usual stuff from out of the garden for the greenery.

I have also done a bit of extra work on the side of the bunker, I want to try and make this look like the side of a cliff face, so I have built out the 'Concrete' to try and form a lip where the bunker wall base joins the cliff face. I will see what it looks like when it dries properly. I also added a bit of green climbing stuff!

I'm starting to get a feel of the model now, so who knows what mods. will come into my nut as I progress, all good fun! lol

I hope you approve thus far and any suggestions or thoughts on what has been done up to now are more than welcome...

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 30735

View attachment 30736

View attachment 30737

View attachment 30738

Omaha 'Assault' 013.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 012.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 014.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 015.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking excellent now ron mate, only 1 thing that i thought maybe needed tinkering with- the slit in the bunker wall has a rough edge ,id have expected something like this to be flat as it would have been shuttered before the concrete was poured , leaving a flat smooth surface after the shuttering has been removed. Only a thought , and i know youll not get the hump and never speak to me again (although you might just slip something in my coffee at cosford in april!!!!) cheers tony