Dog Green, Omaha Beach. Second Phase. The Assault

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good observation my mate. I will attend to that toot sweet, although the slit would have received some attention from my boys coming off the beach (see the bullet holes on the left) and also the bunker roof itself has had a reasonable sized calibre direct hit, perhaps slinging concrete through the wall slit breaking the edge up a bit?

Sounds like I am trying to talk my way out of it doesn't it?lol

The only thing I will slip into your coffee are millions of those little stick stirrer thingys (As if!) We don't approve of that sort of thing....

Cheers for the input Tony,

Ron

F

Fenlander

Amazing to see the magic being worked again Ron, it really is starting to come to life now. The reinforcing bars are really well represented in the damaged bunker. I don't know why I have a mental block with these things, I just cannot seem to get started!!! most frustrating especially when you have done so many well demonstrated dioramas on here, better than any book I could buy on the subject yet I still cannot get out the starting blocks. Deep breath and dive in will be the only way, trouble is... I cannot swim either lol.

Super work as always Ron and many thanks for showing so well how you build these masterpieces.

B

Bunkerbarge

Looking good Ron. I do like the way the reinforcements come out of the concrete, it really makes it that bit more beleivable.

Just another point regarding the slits, I know you are going to work on them but just to make you aware you can make out the expanded polystyrene balls in places so make sure you cover them up as well.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the very flattering comments Graham, I appreciate them. But masterpieces? They are far from that, but if they provide inspiration and help to anyone who would like to do a first time diorama, then that alone makes doing them worth while..

Regarding your 'dilema' you say "Deep breath and dive in."

Trouble is with that, you don't know what is under the surface, might be a Tesco Trolley and you could get hurt. The lads have got it spot on. Start with summat simple. Trying to be too ambitious only leads to annoyance and frustration, culminating in a lack of confidence in your own ability to do even the most basic diorama....Finally comes the block!

So I say this, shoes and socks off, roll up the trousers and just wade in slowly. You'll be swimming the Channel before you can say Diorama!

Here endeth today's lesson, please put money in the tray as you leave, thank you.

Rev. Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Looking good Ron. I do like the way the reinforcements come out of the concrete, it really makes it that bit more beleivable.Just another point regarding the slits, I know you are going to work on them but just to make you aware you can make out the expanded polystyrene balls in places so make sure you cover them up as well.
Thanks for the positive comments Richard. You make a very valid point and to be honest I didn't realise the balls were so prominent until I revued the pictures prior to posting. It was too late then!

I will add some more 'concrete' and thanks for pointing it out.

Ron

F

Fenlander

Cheers for the tips Rev Ron.... 50p attached to a length of elastic dropped in tray..... It does make sense what you say and I think I have the plan just about together now, just need a few things which I will be sorting out next week.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks to the excellent observations and suggestions of both Tony and Richard, I have fettled the bunker wall slit and hidden the wayward polystyrene pellets behind more luuurvely concrete!

I have noticed the Germans used a lot of vertical boarding for their shuttering work so I have scratched a few marks on the concrete to try and simulate a bit of the effect once the shuttering was removed.

I have also removed some more of the cliff face from underneath the structure to give a look of a bit of erosion. The cliffs around Omaha are a yellowy colour so I've done a bit of painting of that too...

I hope you approve of my mods. chaps and thanks again for spotting the faulty concreting.

Ron

View attachment 30748

Omaha 'Assault' 016.jpg

S

sprayman

Now thats looking stunning Ron, a real feel of beaten concrete, beautiful.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top work ron, loving the eroded cliff and the vegetation and the bunker is excellent. Im sure i dont know what you mean about wooden stirring sticks, i never touch them ( i get people to get them for me, like my son ,every time he goes in subway and my missus at mcdonalds!! Im a bit like the fagin of the coffee stirrer world!! Graham, as ron has said just jump in with something simple for your first dio to go with the dingo, you did a superb job on the base for the fw190 , its only the same type of thing, cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That bunker looks stunning,I can almost smell it.

Cheers

Steve

I

It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

Brilliant - can't wait to see what comes next.

Andy

N

noble

Ron mate as usual this is top quality work so far keep it up.

scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've more or less finished the ground work now. I have added some greenery and some more barbed wire.

I will sit back, remove the fluff from my navel and see what needs altering or adding to. I think I will scatter some more rubble from the shell hit and add some bits and bobs.

I hope you have enjoyed the progress thus far folks and thanks again for the input and observations. It's been a great help.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 30803

View attachment 30804

View attachment 30805

View attachment 30806

View attachment 30807

View attachment 30808

View attachment 30809

Omaha 'Assault' 021.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 022.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 017.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 018.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 023.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 019.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 020.jpg

S

sprayman

Magnificent Ron,love the detail and the real feel you created here, my hat off to you.....:xyxthumbs:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What can I say that has not been said already?

I'll just have to settle for:

You are in the grove! It just keeps getting better and better.

Ian M

I

It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

And to think it started life as a broken polystyrene tray. I love the 'planting', I think it works really well in this scale. Do you have to keep it watered? lol. By the way, how did you make the barbed wire?

Cheers

Andy

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I will sit back, remove the fluff from my navel
Hi Ron. Beautiful work as always, but why don't you get your bouncy nurse to help with this bit? Much more fun! :lol

Gern

R

rogue-one

great stuff! it looks so small in your hand aswell. keep it coming.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry for being a bit late replying to the posts chaps.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Andy, for some reason the greenery will stay fresh for months, then I just replace it or paint it.

Seeing your question about the making of the barbed wire reminded me that Steve (stona) asked the same question. Sorry steve for not replying straight away!

I tried the twisted 3 strand method, then cutting one to make the barbs...What a ball ache, how anyone has the patience and dexterity to tie knots every 2/3mm in something I can only just see is beyond me!

So after experimenting this is how I did my wire:-

Strip some domestic cable copper wire of suitable gauge, then with a cocktail stick dipped in PVA dot along the wire at intervals. Then before it dries dip the cable in some dry sand, this will stick to the glue leaving a nice effect. Finally, paint whatever colour you want. I did 12 X 6" lengths in half an hour... It could be done a lot more uniform than mine but I wanted a weathered/ windswept look.

Gern, I would let her loose on my navel, but she doesn't always use her fingernails!

Bobby, Wadda ya mean "It looks so small in your hands"? I might have you know I'm a lot stronger than I used to be, I only need one hand to hold it these days, so there!

Cheers,

Ron