Dog Green, Omaha Beach. Third phase. The Capture

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'm really sorry to have to rush my Normandy G.B. contribution. I had hoped to take all the 3 months on offer but the present Mrs. Ron is getting twitchy....She is leaving camping site books on my pillow now!!!!

So here is the start of the 'Capture' build:-

After a root around the shed up the garden, I found what I was looking for, a plant pot of a suitable size.

I hope you like the progress thus far! lol

I will post progress asap.

Once again, my apologies for the undue, but neccessary haste. Have to keep the Mem Sahib happy old boy!

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 31047

Omaha Capture.jpg

R

rogue-one

ha ha ha, ehhhh?!?? ok. you've got my attention, lol. you tease us ron.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Mine to!

A flower pot man dio? Cool.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Flob a lob.

Ian M (seriously on the brink of sanity)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
We've all seen Rons amazing dio's before. Stand by to be impressed - even by a plant pot !

Regards

Colin M....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good stuff boys!

What is really sad about it all is the fact that I can remember watching Bill and Ben....And worse, understanding what they said!

O.K. here is an update:

First off though, I think I need help...Since I started this thread I'm turning into a bunker geek. I am fascinated by all the different shapes. Is there a cure?

As the weather is garbage here, I am not under threat to go anywhere so I'm getting stuck in......

To start off I found a cracking photo of a semi circular bunker which has the 'Gun platform' edge sticking out from under the roof, so a plant pot having different diameters top and bottom was perfect.

I cut the top 1" off the pot, turned it over and packed it with polystyrene, then skimmed it flush with my usual adhesive. This became the bunker base.

I did the same with the pot base. Turned over, and domed with adhesive this became the bunker roof.

Next I cut a bit of scrap 5mm plywood and bedded this in between the two bits of plant pot to form the M.G. slit.

For the entrance to the bunker I used a block of polystyrene and shaped it to suit, and skimmed this with adhesive too. Not knowing what the rear looked like, I had an after thought and put a couple of walls at the entrance to finish it off.

To finish, and using an old paint brush, I slurried everything with a very runny mixture of the grey stuff.

The whole thing is stuck to an old floor tile....No danger of warping there!

Next, when it is dry I will fettle the concrete, then I will partially bury the bunker into the surrounding ground/foliage. I'm not going to do too much to the rear (Probably just earth it up and grass it. Don't know yet.

I hope you don't mind me destroying Flobalob's jacket!

Thanks for looking in,

Ron

View attachment 31091

View attachment 31092

View attachment 31093

View attachment 31094

View attachment 31095

View attachment 31096

Omaha Capture 004.jpg

Omaha Capture 006.jpg

Omaha Capture 005.jpg

Omaha Capture 002.jpg

Omaha Capture 001.jpg

Omaha Capture 003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rogue-one

sweet! thats genius! very well done ron, such a great creation of a bunker and a very stylin one too.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Bobby, glad you like it.

Didn't cost anything either, at least not until the wife finds out one of her pots is missing.....Then look out!

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dude that's smart. Good thing you are/where in the tiling trade the amount of tile adhesive you get through!

I think I might of seen the picture you where inspired buy when I was looking for info on the Atlantic wall.

Looking forwards to seeing the end result.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the input fellas, I appreciate your comments.

Little update for you:-

I have started to build up the ground around the bunker using more polystyrene bits and a light skim of adhesive.

Not very happy with the 'Ski slope' on the right of the bunker. I reckon it's too long, flat and uniform. It's supposed to be rough ground...Wadda you think?

When it is cured hard, I will sharpen the edges of the concrete a bit.

Ron

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 31140

View attachment 31141

View attachment 31142

Omaha Capture 008.jpg

Omaha Capture 007.jpg

Omaha Capture 009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks good to me. That "ski slope" I think it depends what type of terrain the pill box is planted in. If it was dug into earth, it could well be a soft slope. Rocky ground it could well be quite steep and rocky. All rather depends on how you want to dress it once the construction crew have gone home!!

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ian, some good pointers there. As I will probably be adding some bushes and undergrowth to it, I will leave the slope as it is and see how it looks then.

O.K. a bit more progress...

I have added a bit of feature to the bare base ground work:

I have put in a path, started adding texture to the ground and using my good old green shed paint, I have started to add a bit of colour and painted a bit of mould like stuff creeping over the concrete.

I still need to do some work on the concrete (Damage ect.) and then I will add the foliage, short grass and barbed wire. Then, as is the tradition, crack open a can of Boddingtons (Actually, it's a bottle of Hobgoblin!) stand back and give it a good look over to see what I have missed, or ways to improve/alter the model.

I hope you like this so far and any comments, whichever way, are always welcome.

Thanks,

Ron

View attachment 31214

View attachment 31215

View attachment 31216

View attachment 31217

View attachment 31218

Omaha Capture 012.jpg

Omaha Capture 011.jpg

Omaha Capture 014.jpg

Omaha Capture 013.jpg

Omaha Capture 010.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent job mucker, I really love it when you can get results like this from unexpected (and of course cheap/free!!) sources. The true spirit of scratchbuilding! My only criticism is the choice of tipple- such a brilliant bit of building deserves a shot of bourbon or single malt at least!!!LOL cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Tony, nice comments. Yes, it is good fun rooting around for suitable stuff. Not so much it being free, more seeing what you can make of everyday items and stuff lying around.....Cue Blue Peter!

Regarding the tipple, I usually stick to beer but I have been known to indulge in the odd J.D., for medicinal reasons only, you understand.

Cheers,

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Did some one say Hobgoblin!!!! Been a while since I had one of those.

Got a good thing going there Ron. The Algae on the concrete is a nice touch.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This, the final stage of my Normandy dioramas 'The Capture' is now complete. Thanks to those who posted advise, suggestions and amusing comments during the construction. It all made good reading!

I will shortly post a thread with a set of pictures and a brief word about the build in the 'Completed' section of Group Builds.

Thanks,

Ron

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very, very nice MG bunker. Your dio trilogy has a great setting for it's finale!

All th best

Paul