Douglas A-1h Skyraider

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Guys,

Well, I built another one today, Italeris 1:48th scale A-1H Skyraider.

I have built this model before, but this is the first time I have camoed it. I wasnt really pleased with the camo but atleast I have gotten that model off my "to do" list now lol.

I had not planned on building today because I thought I had to work. However after driving an hour and a half to work, I found out that the factory was closed for the holiday (I was on vacation last week and didnt know they would shut the plant down....they havent ever before), anyway, so I spent a total of 3 hrs driving between 4 and 7 am and decided I could build a model on this unexpected day off.

Enough of that, here is the model...again, in my driveway (isnt it always?) :

Have a good day all,

Greg

B

backonthecase

Nice one Greg. Love the Skyraider, never had a chance to build one yet.

Now....where's that credit card.....

A

alan2525

Hey Greg,

That old model collection must be growing at a fair rate! Do you have any shots of the collection en masse?

Where do you store your models - would need a fair old glass case for those! Good work though and amazing how quickly you complete each model too!

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy guys,

Yes i have always liked the skyraider also, I have built it probably 3 times in my life, usually the US Navy version in gray and white, this time I wanted to try the Korean war or Viet nam version.

This aircraft rolled off the assembly line too late for use in WWII but was used extensively in the two aforementioned conflicts either as ground support or as fire suppression support on SAR missions in the jungles of viet nam. The availible firepower of the Skyraider was amazing, anything from rockets to napalm to iron bombs and cluster bombs could be carried "en masse" by this aircraft.

As for a photo of the entire collection.....sadly no group shots lol. However I was just thinking lastnight about setting up a photos of "alike era" aircraft similar to the one I did of the old USAAC (United states army air corps) planes I have built.

The first photo that I thought I would like to do is my C 130's (3 of them) along with my model of the Transall. To me, seeing these big birds on my driveway all together in a photo would be like looking down a flight line. I also have thought about my Korean war era aircraft including 2 Mig 15's, an F 86 Sabre and F 86D Sabre dog along with a few Mirages thrown in.

The only problem with these type photos is the set up time lol, ie....taking them all outside and setting them up, but I might do that in the near future....and possibly try to do the "alike era" shots all the same day and leave them all out for a "grand finale" photo of many of my aircraft (just remember carrying one plane at a time outside means a lot of trips lol so I will have to have pretty much a full day to do it).

As for where i store all these planes.....lol funny you should ask, I am running out of room and hanging them from the ceiling is looking good to me. I just hate to poke holes in the brand new ceiling I put in my house less than two yrs ago. I spent almost three months tearing out the old "plaster ceilings" and replacing them with sheet rock.....it was the worst "home improvement experience" I have ever undertaken.

Anyway, when I take some "group photos" I will be sure to post them here in the forum.

Have good day,

Greg