Doug's Revell 1/72 Spitfire Mk V

D

Doug Hughes

This is my 'target' for the SIG. As I only make 1/72 scale, most of my kits come in at under £10, so I set myself a couple of extra constraints for this one:

1) I had to be able to get it for under £5, including postage. This one totalled £4.99 from eBay. In the shops I believe they retail for about £8, so still would qualify.

2) No aftermarket improvements except for spares box or existing decal stock. I'll probably need to buy some paints, but as I'll be re-using those I'll do some creative accounting and put the cost down to 'capital investment'!

3) I wanted to use it to practice some improvements on the basic kit. This one has some well documented issues with the lack of gull-wing at the under-wing/fuselage join, and with the shape of the propeller and spinner, which I'll try to fix.

I can't start it just yet though - I still have an Eduard Bf 110 to complete.

View attachment 95350

View attachment 95351

View attachment 95352

IMG_3494.JPG

IMG_3495.JPG

IMG_3496.JPG

D

Deleted member 4203

Looks great! I remember my local toy shop had loads of those a couple of years ago, with a paint stand for glue and everything, then one weekend it all just suddenly disappeared :eek: Anyway, looking forward to seeing this, it looks fantastic ;) :D

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice one Doug. Mine are mostly 1/72 too, so much to choose from for 'under the tenner'.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I built this kit ........ or rather made a complete mess of it with my 6 year old Grandson. He isn't blessed with a huge attention span, but he wanted to make an aeroplane with grandad.......... There was a lot of glue and melted plastic involved....... But he was chuffed to bits with it ........... I'll look forward to seeing a proper job with it. (If you need any help I can send him up for a couple of days).

Peter

D

Doug Hughes

Well, compared to the Eduard bf110, this is a completely different experience, and involves some fairly major acts of butchery. I'm building the normal-winged version using the kit transfers. Here's a few pictures of the build so far. The fit of parts is not good, and there are one or too short mouldings too - you can see some of the filler on the pictures, and I haven't finished filling yet. I'm reshaping the gull-wing area by filing and filling - it was completely flat in the original. I'm reshaping the spinner, by sticking a bit of plastic rod on the end, filling around it, then sanding to what I hope is the right shape. The propeller blades also looked really weedy, and short, so I've stuck a frame of plastic strip around them, and a bit of plastic card on the end, filled all around, and am now sanding to shape.

The working methods are a bit Heath Robinson, but seem to be working. I'll also get more experience at re-scribing panel lines. At the end of all this, I should have all the experience I need to tackle the '70s Classic' group build later in the year!

View attachment 98583

View attachment 98584

View attachment 98585

View attachment 98586

View attachment 98587

View attachment 98588

IMG_3512.JPG

IMG_3514 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3514.JPG

IMG_3515.JPG

IMG_3516.JPG

IMG_3517.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The surgery will all be worth it in the end, looking good so far Doug. Reminds me I better update my build soon!

D

Doug Hughes

I've finally finished this one. All in all, I'm quite pleased, given my self-imposed under-a-fiver constraint. My surgery on the spinner, prop, and 'gull-wing' seem to have improved the original a bit, and gave me some good experience at re-scribing panel lines. It's surprisingly easy! The main colours all come from the Tamiya acrylic range, and went on well despite my limited airbrushing skills. I masked the camouflage using tape and very thin white-tack sausages, so the result is sharp but not too much so. The kit decals are pretty good, though I didn't use most of the stencils or the fuselage band (it's easier to match with the spinner if you mask and paint it. I think the upper wing roundels might be a bit big - I had to compromise a bit by moving them inboard slightly, and making the yellow leading edge strip a bit narrower, in order to fit the roundel between the leading edge band and the aileron. There's a tiny bit of silvering where the wing stencils appear on top of the roundels - the lesson here is, if you're decaling over matt decals, give it another coat of gloss first.

View attachment 104248

View attachment 104249

View attachment 104250

View attachment 104251

View attachment 104252

IMG_3529.JPG

IMG_3530.JPG

IMG_3531.JPG

IMG_3532.JPG

IMG_3533.JPG

First Name
Neil
That is a nice clean build, to my not very picky eye, it looks the business, wouldn't know that the panel lines had been scribed. There is something nice about a good clean look without over-weathering it, I'm always tempted to to add that one more bit of wear and tear, perhaps I should just leave it to look like this!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great build Doug, that came out rather nicely indeed. Good to see another Spitfire V :smiling3:

D

dubster72

That's definitely a top job Doug! I'll send my kits that require re-scribing to you coz I'm rubbish at it!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent job Doug , the surgery was a success, it looks every inch a spitfire. The paint job is very tasty too , it looks like a much larger scale build, cheers tony