Dragon 1/48: Fw 190 F-8 with "Sondergeraet 113"

B

BigZimmo

Hi mates!!!

The "Sondergeraet 113 SG 113" was a projected German weapon system for antitank defense in WW II.

A gun system developed by Rheinmetall-Borsig in the 75 mm caliber with a barrel length of 1,600 mm was tested as a weapon system. However, this was not arranged in the aircraft longitudinal direction firing forward, but mounted in the wings directed downward. The advantage of this shooting direction is that armored vehicles on the top have the least armor, which also smaller caliber can penetrate the vehicle armor. The cannons should be triggered by an electrostatic or electromagnetic sensor ("Foerstersonde") when flying over the target.

As test aircrafts in September 1944, two Focke-Wulf Fw 190 F-8 with SG 113 in the wings sent into the testing. It also examined the flying capability of the converted machine and the general impact of two guns in the wings. End of 1944, the machine was released in the troop testing. Any successes can no longer be determined.

For this project I took the older Dragon kit of a Fw 190 A-8 and turned it into an F-8. For the special armament I used the SG 113-Set from Airmodel.
Maybe the Dragon-190 is not a youngster but it was surprisingly easy to build. Yes, a little bit of putty and sanding was needed but that wasn't a problem.
Colors from Gunze an Revell.
The Figures are from ICM and they are really awesome. Easy to build, good fit......it was fun!!! Painted with Revell Aqua-Colors and weathered with diluted oil paint and various pastel chalks.:smiling:

Horrido.....
Stefan:cool:

DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0002.jpgDSC_0003.jpgDSC_0004.jpgDSC_0006.jpgDSC_0007.jpgDSC_0008.jpgDSC_0009.jpgDSC_0011.jpgDSC_0013.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I've seen this type in pictures Stefan, and you've done a fantastic job of replicating it, the build, painting and figures are outstanding. The finished diorama is also stunning. Great work.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Another amazing invention by German Engineers. Followed by Stefan's amazing dio. Great work.

B

BigZimmo

Thanks for your kind words!!!:smiling4:
Looking forward to your next workbench-strikes.........:smiling:

Nice (Modelling)Weekend, mates!!!!:cool::thumb2:

J

Jens Andrée

I love bonkers German wartime engineering so this is a two thumbs up for me!!! :thumb2::thumb2:
I wonder what it must've felt like flying that plane when you start shooting? Bumpy for sure...

Superbly well made I have to add! :smiling:
Also you've chosen great figures for the vignette because they all tell a great story, adding to the whole scene!!!

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Very nicely done mate. Luftwaffe WWII is my favourite subject, and this shows that the dragon/trimester 1/48 kits can still produce excellent results.
John

B

BigZimmo

Thanks, guys !!
Jens, the launchers came originally from the army and were relatively recoon-free. The flight characteristics of the Fw 190 were only moderately impaired due to the low-drag fairing.
Sure, you could not stand a dogfight with this aircraft, but I think in action they would have got extra covering by "normal" fighters.
Incidentally, flight tests with the SG 113 were carried out in the vicinity of my place of residence. However, with a Henschel HS 129. The target was a captured Russian tank KV-2.:smiling4:

001.jpg
sg-113-6.jpg

Yeah, John......it's just an oldie but goldie!!! If you know the goofs of this kit, especially the fit-problems around the motor cowling and the transition from the wing-roots to the fuselage, it's quite easy to handle.
Often the old kits surprise with a great model that does not have to hide in the showcase. I really love these oldtimers in modelling!!!!:smiling:

Cheers
Stefan:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Ooh, now that is interesting! Cool subject and excellently captured!:thumb2:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Excellent work up to your usual high standards Stefan. A unique subject too,:thumb2: