Dragon Jagdtiger with PaK80 L/66 in 1:35

S

Stands24

Next build! This is one of Dragon's new releases, a Jagdtiger with the proposed 128mm PaK80 L/66. The
128mm PaK44 L/55 was already a MONSTER of a gun with insane penetration power for the time, so I don't want to begin to imagine how hilariously powerful this one would have been. xD

Some people have said this kit isn't worth the money, since it's just an average Dragon Jagdtiger with a different gun barrel. However, I don't have a normal Jagdtiger so I think this one was worth it. c: Maybe I'll just build both guns and switch them out at will.

First, the box!

V6ZQkcu.jpg

This kit has been great so far. Easy to build and top-notch mold quality. I only have two minor complaints. 1: Several parts have flash, which is unusual for Dragon models in my experience. 2: There was an error in the instructions so I spent about an hour looking for the proper part. :P If any of you have this kit and haven't built it, it's on the page where you construct the rear hatch. When you start putting small things on the lower right side of the model, the instructions call for part D20. However, it is part B25. I will check tonight again to verify this.

Next, the wheels... These are always my least favorite part. :P

bG9U59U.jpg

After that, I added the suspension arms to the lower hull. Here's the finished (mostly) running gear with the lower hull.

ALVUkep.jpg

So when making the rear hatch, I thought I would take a page from someone else's book on another site and alter the doors to make them movable! I drilled holes into the necessary parts, them used leftover brass wire from my Panther II's Friulmodel tracks.

nnnCRFA.jpg

I ran into a problem where the right door extended too far inwards... I had to cut the connecting pieces in half, sand them down, then re-cement them to make it all fit.
Worked pretty well! Here's a finished door, minus the handle. The handle was very fragile so I left that for last after accidentally warping it. ): You can see it has (technically) four points of articulation.

8d3PBvh.jpg

The finished rear hatch, opened and closed.

O5Z12fW.jpg

tGhh2GX.jpg

The hull has a fantastic texture on it, and I've been told that is characteristic of what heavy German plate looked like. I hope it stays through the painting!!

fklUFev.jpg

wqvEcWX.jpg

Then I started working on side attachments and the engine deck.

tq4G8qz.jpg

22kCqJE.jpg

Ka7hoPx.jpg

That's all for now, stay tuned! This is an exciting build; I LOVE German tanks.

D

dubster72

What a great kit to build! I had fun with my one, although that was the standard PAK 44 version. I can't imagine how monstrous the PAK 80 would have been!

Looking forward to seeing more of this one

A

Awins

I also am a big fan of German Amour kits. As yet I havnt built a self propelled gun. Will certainly be watching this post.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice,Ryan,I,m a big fan for German amour,;)
your off to a great start,looking good,so far,will be waiting on updates,:smiling3:

S

Stands24

@monica @Awins @dubster72 Y'all won't be disappointed! :D

Side note, I got the engine grilles on and they turned out much better than my last King Tiger's, now that I have thought of a new way to apply the necessary super glue. I took my pointed sander thing whose large end is slanted. I put super glue on that end (because the small end is reserved for picking up tiny parts), then dabbed in the desired spots so the glue would flow neatly. In the case of the circular grilles, I dragged it around in a circle and it still got just the right amount on. I love liquid physics! :D This is so much neater than trying to apply it straight from the bottle. I'll post some pictures in a day or two when I get more done.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
will look forward to seeing the pic,s of how you did it,:rolleyes:;)