Dragon Smart Kits

N

Neill

Hi all

For someone with little build experience....are smart kits easy to build? Think I seen an article where they where also designed to be made into sub assemblies. I am still trying to get myself into the "sub assembly" way of thinking as I find it hard to get away from instructions due to lack of experience.

This is one for John. I will be attempting 1/35 figures soon. I wanna try and paint the heads seprate from the body for easier manipulation so would I need a pin vice/what size drill bit for this to be able to stick a toothpick into the head/body? What would I need to spread filler into small to very small gaps? If you have either in stock count it as an order placed. Thanks.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Use a toothpick, as for filling gaps either Vallejo filler val401 or mr surface 500

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The "smart" in Dragon smart kits is that they are supposedly designed to be easier to build, so just follow the instructions and you will be fine.

If you want to hold the heads of your figures with out all the waffle and expense. you can easily either drill a 1mm hole in the base of the neck and stop a toothpick in the hole or, as I often do with small parts that need painting superglue a bit of sprue. Stretch the sprue a little to make it about 1mm thick at the end and just stick it on with a tiny dab of super glue. The good bit about super glue is that it is brittle. When you need to remove the part, just give it a sharp twist and it will come apart. A quick swipe with a file will remove any residue before you glue the part to the rest of the subject.

Ian M