Eduard 1/48 Spitfires - what’s all the fuss about?

First Name
Rick
This might sound like heresy but I have never really had a burning desire to build a model Spitfire, this isn’t because I don’t like the aircraft rather that there are so many kits for them and every man and his dog seems to be building one - modeller forums are awash with build threads.
Why am I writing this? My daughter’s school classes are named after aircraft, hers is currently Hawk. I had a clear out of built models recently and donated a completed Hawk and Hurricane to the respective classes - which prompted the response from several teachers, “Can you build a model for my class?”. So I got to thinking about these Eduard kits and wanted to hear some feedback from you guys.

I’ve got my eye on this one -
31193770-A355-4837-8982-342FEB72F67F.jpeg

Big Red

SMF Poster
First Name
Jim
I built this particular kit last year, and found it went together really well.
The photo etch adds a nice finish to the cockpit in particular. The mouldings were all crisp with a nice amount of detail, and the fit gave me no particular problems. Decals are well printed and set down nicely.
I thoroughly enjoyed putting it together.

And I agree with Paul, sounds like a great school!

Jim

First Name
Rick
now thats a great school!

can you imagine being in Tonka or Tiffie class :smiling6:
The class names are;
Spitfire
Hurricane
Lancaster
Raptor
Merlin
Eagle
Hawk
Concord
Tornado
Vulcan

And the schools claim to fame is a Dornier Do-235 crashed into it!

Dave Ward

SMF Poster
First Name
David
Rick,
I know what you mean about building a Spitfire - every body and their dog has had a go. Until this year, the last Spitfire I made was the Airfix 1:24 Spitfire, when it first came out ( Xmas present! ). As part of the now defunct MM 100RAFGB, I made a ICM 1/48 Spitfire IXc - can't say that I really wanted to make the Spitfire, but it was really only one of two that fitted the bill in my stash. Nice model, needed a bit of work AM decals, unlike the Eduard models, which in the profipack versions, need no work or extra parts ( at a price ). icm 1-48 spitfire.jpg
Another problem with building a Spitfire is that there are loads of 'experts' ready to give advice on where you went wrong!:smiling3:
Dave

Jim R

SMF Poster
First Name
Jim
Hi Rick
Funnily enough I am building this kit *HERE*. It is my first Spitfire and although it is early days yet it seem to be a good kit. It actually doesn't bother me how many others have built a Spitfire as I tend to build what takes my fancy at the time.
Jim

beowulf

Styrene Bodger
First Name
Paul
The class names are;
Spitfire
Hurricane
Lancaster
Raptor
Merlin
Eagle
Hawk
Concord
Tornado
Vulcan

And the schools claim to fame is a Dornier Do-235 crashed into it!

eagle is the ringer there :smiling6: although a F15 RAF whiff would look nice............Tonka failed so they bought off the shelf Eagles instead

whoever picked Raptor needs a slap up the side of the head.........hideous white elephant of an aircraft :smiling6:

First Name
Rick
Hi Rick
Funnily enough I am building this kit *HERE*. It is my first Spitfire and although it is early days yet it seem to be a good kit. It actually doesn't bother me how many others have built a Spitfire as I tend to build what takes my fancy at the time.
Jim
Yes, I have been watching your progress Jim with interest.

Marcello

SMF Poster
First Name
Marcello
this is a lovely kit. I have done this as well and it went together with no issues at all. No pictures to share,sorry all gone both in their previous home and from my HDD. I will need to spend some time to retake pictures of all my models :sleeping2:

rtfoe

SMF Poster
First Name
Richard
Hi Rick, I like the Spit but have to confess have only built two in my lifetime and recently too. One an Airfix and the other ICM. I heard the Eduard kit is nice and Jimbo is building one on this site at the moment.

I did go all the way in the engine department of the ICM kit...no PE's just bits of material around the house... 598993.jpg
Cheers,
Richard