Eduard 1/72 Spitfire IXc

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks John. I bought the jig at a show a year or so ago, can't remember who the trader was. Maker is JH Models. Does John have them at Scale Model Shop?

Pete
Don't know Pete, in my case don't think it would work on armour :worried:
John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice reveal Pete. Heading in the right direction now. Great stuff

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Yet more masking for the yellow leading edge strip, and while the yellow was in the airbrush a bit where the fuselage roundels will go, the reduce the chance of the white/black stripes showing through. Also did the prop tips. Most of it went alright:
P1140585.JPG
but on the port wing the tape (Tamiya for curves) lifted the paint:
P1140586.JPG
I should have made a better job of sanding that leading edge too.

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Touch ups done, and she has legs!
P1140588.JPGAt least I thought the touch-ups were done until I looked at that photo! I've repainted the undercarriage bays in the correct undersurface colour. Still a few little PE sticky-out bits left to add, but I think I'll leave those until after decalling or they'll only get knocked off.
So, next step is a clear coat, then decals...

Pete

S

Scale Model Podcast

Looking really good. I may have to get one of these at some point.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
On to decals - 'undreds of stencils it seems! One wing finished, the other started - 26 decals already!
P1140589.JPG
Shows up my terrible paintwork, and I hadn't noticed that wrinkle...
My eyes need a rest now though.

Pete

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Pete,
Great work on the Spit. This is why I don't do wingy things to many decals plus you cant throw mud at the mistakes:tongue-out3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I quite enjoy decals - the nice thing about these tiny stencils is that you can leave them off if they misbehave!

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
32 stencils, plus 2 roundels, on the underside! 16 on the prop and spinner, but I need a lie down first!

Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Paint job looks really nice. Lots of masking and it seems to have worked mostly fine - touch ups are par for the course. I have only ever built a couple of planes and the decals seem to go on for ever but do bring the whole thing to life. Turning out to be a cracker.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Phew! Finished the decals at last! Walkway lines were a struggle, but don't look too bad. Strange mistake by Eduard - according to the stencil instructions there should be one numbered 39 which says "ENGINE STARTER PLUG", but number 39 on the stencil sheet says "MAKE SURE COVER IS CLOSED BEFORE FLIGHT", and is too large to fit on the starter plug cover. Still, I'm sure the ground crew new where to plug in the starter, so I've just left it off. Don't tell anyone will you!
P1140591.JPGP1140592.JPGP1140593.JPG
They can marinade overnight after a dose of Micro Sol, then tomorrow (after shopping duty) I can add the last few parts and repair the aerial, and give it another clear coat before some light weathering.

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'd used the closed cockpit canopies and door, fixed in place with Maskol to mask the cockpit, which will be open. I'd been a bit worried that some overspray might have got into the cockpit, but it looks OK:
P1140594.JPG
The Eduard masks worked well too:
P1140595.JPG
Needs a few touch-ups around the edges, but that can be done after I've fitted the door, and the canopies including the PE handle on the sliding canopy and the rear-view mirror. Then just the exhaust manifolds, pitot, and IFF aerial to be added, and the main aerial repaired.
The end is in sight!

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
On the home straight now, all the gluing finished, just a couple of touch-ups and some light weathering.
IMG_20181114_205135348.jpgIMG_20181114_205150155.jpgIMG_20181114_205156095.jpg
Shame the Sky codes don't match the Sky tail band...
I fixed the PE handle for the sliding part of the canopy with CA, and it's fogged a small patch, which is a bit disappointing at this stage, but I'm not too displeased with the overall result.
Will do some weathering tomorrow then try to take some better photos!

Pete

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
At 1/72 scale , that's a pretty good job Peter. The paint lifts are always the annoying part but you've repaired them well. Will pop over to see the completed photos.

Cheers,
Richard

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Richard. I tend to paint too thickly, which might have had something to do with the lifting, but it's covered up now so on to the next one and I'll try to do better.

Pete

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The overall look is great Pete. I have enjoyed watching this come together. I will pop over and have a look at the completed pics. Well done sir:thumb2::thumb2: