Eduard removable cover film decals

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
After stripping them all, I had a couple of minor failures.
One stencil came off completely, so obviously hadn’t been put on properly. The other issue was an overlap on the tail transfers and was my fault. Like a numpty I didn’t take into account that overlapping decals won’t strip cleanly….the overlying decal gets damaged in the process. It’s nothing too extreme, just looks like a little chipping of the paint…..

Over all, I’d say that even without stripping they are as good as any decals I’ve ever used. The carrier film is very thin so could be left alone with no real issues, but in certain circumstances , such as bare metal finishes, I would say they are difficult to beat.
controversy over! The issues you had have probably been shared by many.

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Aside from year (some older kits have been reboxed) how does one know if they are the ‘transfer’ type?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Aside from year (some older kits have been reboxed) how does one know if they are the ‘transfer’ type?
I’m sorry, that I don’t know…..should be the case for any kit produced since 2020 though. I suppose you could always test a decal from the kit that you are not going to use…..

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
What’s weird is there are no instructions or any indication if you have the ‘new type’ or not. So here goes;

Tim is right to say post 2020 for decals - bear in mind though that it seems if Eduard has reboxed a kit (like my build) where the original box was pre 2020 then the decals are new type.

They are pretty awesome. I was worried about trying as I used my microsol and didn’t want to pull up my efforts!
So I took the plunge and hey presto! Just need a blade to lift up corner and then treezers to peel off slowly. Try to get all film in one peel but no dramas if not. Actually once you strip off a bit then the rest follows easily - you might just have to prompt a bit with blade again.
IMG_4132.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
What’s weird is there are no instructions or any indication if you have the ‘new type’ or not. So here goes;

Tim is right to say post 2020 for decals - bear in mind though that it seems if Eduard has reboxed a kit (like my build) where the original box was pre 2020 then the decals are new type.

They are pretty awesome. I was worried about trying as I used my microsol and didn’t want to pull up my efforts!
So I took the plunge and hey presto! Just need a blade to lift up corner and then treezers to peel off slowly. Try to get all film in one peel but no dramas if not. Actually once you strip off a bit then the rest follows easily - you might just have to prompt a bit with blade again.
View attachment 503996
That’s exactly what I found. I believe the lack of instructions are because this is not a design feature, just a by product of their current digital production technique.