Eduard Spitfire Mk.IXc - 1/48

D

Deleted member 6559

Nowt wrong with that wee chap Jim - very nicely done. I wouldn't even try tackling a 1/48 figure.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Very nice looking Spit Jim:thumb2:, sorry to read about the primer issue if you didn't told I wouldn't have seen it.
The pilot turned out great too.:smiling:
Looking forward to see the base with both on.

Fernando

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks for the very kind comments. They do keep the old mojo up. I have been working on the base. Still a bit to go - grass, runway markings etc but almost there. For me this has actually been quite a speedy build :smiling5:P1050367.JPGP1050368.JPG
P1050369.JPG
P1050370.JPG
Sorry about the focus in the last photo - camera decided to do it's own thing!
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jim,
what a nice build! The pilot looks pretty good, but two questions - would a sergeant pilot wear an officers hat?, and silver braid on the hat band?raf cap.jpg
OK, this is a pristine example of an officers hat, the other ranks had a front badge with RAF in the centre - I'm no expert in these matters - maybe things were a bit different in wartime?
Dave

First Name
Andrew
Wow! Turned out beautifully Jim! (I'd not seen this for a while, so it was a pleasant surprise to find it almost finished.)
Andy B

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Jim,
All looking very nice indeed....you did a brilliant job on the spit paintwork and Mr Pilot looks good to me:smiling4:
Did you make the base yourself?...looks great:thumb2:
Si

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Jim

The base sets off the build really well. It really is a thing of beauty. Look forward to final close ups Mr Demille:hugging-face:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Dave - you are probably correct. I just sort of copied the picture on the box although the hat band was just to look a bit pretty :thinking:
Andy - thanks for the nice comment. It's done now.
Si - the base is home made. It is a bit of foam stuff that I think came as packing. It had a silvery sheet on both sides which came off easily and left the foam. It could be insulation board - perhaps? It is very light and scores easily.
Steve - really appreciate the thumbs up from a modeller of your skills.
....... 'tis done :smiling4::smiling3: Added the grass and bits between the slabs. Made a couple of wheel chocks - may not be very accurate but I thought they would add a little something. Painted the base edges.
Thank you all so much for the great support. It was a super kit and I have learned a lot from this foray into 1/48 scale wingy things. I would like to try another - maybe a Hurricane or a 109.
P1050372a.jpg
There are more photos in the Completed Aircraft section.
Thanks again folks.
Jim

Last edited:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Jim,
what a nice build! The pilot looks pretty good, but two questions - would a sergeant pilot wear an officers hat?, and silver braid on the hat band?View attachment 305570
OK, this is a pristine example of an officers hat, the other ranks had a front badge with RAF in the centre - I'm no expert in these matters - maybe things were a bit different in wartime?
Dave

He looks Polish to me with that type of hat.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
She looks great Jim!
The pilot and base look great too, like the addition of the wheel chocks, nice touch.:hugging-face:
Well done sir.:thumb2:

Looking forward to see your next wingy thingy, Eduards 109's are told to be very nice.

Fernando

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Rick - thanks. He could well be Polish.
Fernando - thanks for the nice comment. I think an Eduard 109 may be top of my shopping list. I can put into practice some of the things I learned on this build.
Jim

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks excellent Jim ,and the figure is a great touch , cheers tony

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If that's what a shaking hand can do it it looks pretty good to me .The whole thing is superb , and in 1/48 to boot .:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Personally I don't think the hat really matters , but for the purests out there the following should do !

As for the hat, well he would have normally worn a side cap , but in front of his place his flying helmet.
images.jpeg
Photo for discussion only
John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Guys
Tony, John, Alun and Jim - your kind comments are much appreciated.
Jim