Eduard Spitfire Mk.IXc - 1/48

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
I'm quite excited by this - my first build on the SM forum. New home, new start, new challenge.
I have only built a couple of aeroplanes in my life so this is rather out of my comfort zone. I bought the kit at Cosford. It said £27.50 on the box but I got it for £20. It was recommended by Sean Emmott who is a real good builder of wingy things :smiling: I also got a book for £1 out of a bargain box. I mail ordered a pilot to go with it - came from a place in Switzerland of all places.
So hopefully this will be of interest to some of you. Any tips, advice, suggestions etc would be welcomed 'cause methinks I'm gonna need all the help I can get :thumb2:

P1050258.JPGP1050259.JPGP1050290.JPG
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi all
I'm quite excited by this - my first build on the SM forum. New home, new start, new challenge.
I have only built a couple of aeroplanes in my life so this is rather out of my comfort zone. I bought the kit at Cosford. It said £27.50 on the box but I got it for £20. It was recommended by Sean Emmott who is a real good builder of wingy things :smiling: I also got a book for £1 out of a bargain box. I mail ordered a pilot to go with it - came from a place in Switzerland of all places.
So hopefully this will be of interest to some of you. Any tips, advice, suggestions etc would be welcomed 'cause methinks I'm gonna need all the help I can get :thumb2:

View attachment 298839View attachment 298840View attachment 298841
Jim
Jim,

looking forward to seeing what you do with this.
Paul

First Name
Wouter
Hi Jim(bo)...you can't go wrong with an Eduard kit (well actually, you can, they have some not so good kits :tears-of-joy: but this isn't one of them ^^). Looking forward to see this unfold!

If it's going to be as good as your boat it'll be Ace (pun intended :P)

Cheers

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Jim
This will be good, apparently this is a cracking kit....you’ll love it.
Cheers
Tim

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I built my first Eduard kit a year or so ago after a lifetime of Airfix, Revell etc. I really enjoyed it and the outcome was better than I hoped for. I have a load more Eduard Mig-21 kits in the stash to build at some point. The fit and instructions are quite good.
Why not show us some sprue shots and the decal sheet.

Looking forward to seeing you build this now....there’s no pressure.

J

Jim Barry

Great! Looks like it's North African campaign . I used to run some PC wargame simulations of that campaign and clearly recall recall the comfort that the RAF gave me in a very difficult series of battles.

First Name
Marcello
good choice Jim, I have build this one for the RAF GB and you'll not be disappointed at all

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Any Spit is fine with me Jim, the ICM kit I built was a happy build but I've heard some good things about this Eduard kit. Will definitely catch you doing R Royce engine sounds once you've gotten the wings and tail on.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Very encouraging to see so many of you here to keep me on the right path.
Paul - it looks a beautiful kit so no excuses for me there.
Wouter - this is actually quite a new kit and it has pretty good reviews.
Tim - I did things a bit backwards. Read the reviews after I had bought it but was not disappointed.
Rick - sprue shots :thumb2: Quite a few parts used for other variants.
Alun - take my time - you know me too well. I am the modelling snail!
Jim - yes the box art is N African camo. I won't do that though.
Marcello - thanks for that. Feel encouraged.
Richard - gonna hang it from the ceiling when its done :smiling5:
Ian - not the box art version. The one I think I'll go for is the one below. For no other reason really than I like the idea of W/Cdr Alan Deere having the serial number partly painted over and painting on his personal code letters. Bit like having a personal number plate :cool:
P1050291.JPG
P1050293.JPG
P1050294.JPG
P1050295.JPG
Never seen the clear parts on wheel spokes like this.
P1050296.JPG
Small PE fret and masks as it is the Profipack kit.
P1050297.JPG
Jim

First Name
Wouter
mmm...looking at this it's itching here to pop out an Eduard wingy which I got couple of months ago...a BF 109 G-6, the new correct kit. Jim, you're bad influence :tongue-out3: Btw, the clear parts on a spoke is new to me as well, very peculiar indeed.

Cheers

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Jim, I built the weekend edition of this one little over a year ago.
Pretty good fit all-round, with just a bit of filler needed on the fuselage halves and the joint with the wings.
Good to see some seat-belts on the pe fret as I thought that was the only real thing missing in the kit.

Have fun with this one.:thumb2:
Fernando

D

Deleted member 6559

Great stuff Jim! Looking forward to following along. Any rust this time?

Peter.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Wouter - You're a bit like me. You see something and think "I want a go". I you built your BF109 we could play dogfights together :smiling3:
Fernando - please keep an eye on me and if you see me heading for problems shout out :thumb2:
Peter - if I mess it up rust could be the answer!
Jim

First Name
Wouter
Wouter - You're a bit like me. You see something and think "I want a go". I you built your BF109 we could play dogfights together :smiling3:
Jim
Now wouldn't that be something? :tongue-out2:

Well, I might bring her out!

Pitty you don't play computer games btw, otherwise we could have a real go at dogfights in the game War Thunder :tongue-out3:

Cheers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Ian and Ross - welcome.
By 'eck these wingy thing cockpits are fiddly. Also trying to think ahead to decide what to fix and what to leave separate for painting needs some forward planning. Moulding and fit is beautiful :thumb2: I'm a painfully slow modeller at the best of times but tiny bits and forward planning has slowed me to a snail's pace. This is where we are ....
P1050298.JPG
P1050299.JPG
P1050300.JPG
And this bit of PE was just taking the wee-wee :crying: It is one piece from the fret folded up.
P1050301.JPG
Off for a lie down!
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

That sort of thing gives me nightmares! Great work Jim.