EMHAR 1/24 Bedford 'OLBD' Dropside 5 ton Truck

F

Fenlander

what do you think of the Railmatch paints?

Bit difficult to say on just the two colours Rick.  Not an expert on enamels either but I would say they were OK.  Need thinning for my .2mm nozzle and I got their thinners to start off with.  On thinning enough to get a decent spray, I found them a bit translucent.  It does say not to over thin for spraying but needs must.  I just needed to do more coats than I would with Acrylic.

They are very slow drying.  I wouldn't want to be handling them much before 24 hours.  This may be due to the number of coats used to build up the colour.  It does say to wait 8 hours between coats.  Today I experimented and thinned with cellulose thinners which, bizarly, reduced the enamel smell and, expectedly, speeded up the drying.  Still very translucent though.

My advise would be to select an appropriate primer colour.  White or light grey made the first few coats of Crimson very pink until I built it up.  The cream wasn't as bad but then again, I didn't have strong contrasting under coats.

They are matt, or the two I used are and so will need a gloss coat of some kind.  I only want a semi gloss so I should get away with something like the Alclad Aqua gloss, which I trust and isn't too 'showroom glossy'

In fairness, I have used them to get the authentic British Rail colours only.  I wouldn't have used them for anything else but for what I wanted, so far they have done the trick.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Bit difficult to say on just the two colours Rick.  Not an expert on enamels either but I would say they were OK.  Need thinning for my .2mm nozzle and I got their thinners to start off with.  On thinning enough to get a decent spray, I found them a bit translucent.  It does say not to over thin for spraying but needs must.  I just needed to do more coats than I would with Acrylic.

They are very slow drying.  I wouldn't want to be handling them much before 24 hours.  This may be due to the number of coats used to build up the colour.  It does say to wait 8 hours between coats.  Today I experimented and thinned with cellulose thinners which, bizarly, reduced the enamel smell and, expectedly, speeded up the drying.  Still very translucent though.

My advise would be to select an appropriate primer colour.  White or light grey made the first few coats of Crimson very pink until I built it up.  The cream wasn't as bad but then again, I didn't have strong contrasting under coats.

They are matt, or the two I used are and so will need a gloss coat of some kind.  I only want a semi gloss so I should get away with something like the Alclad Aqua gloss, which I trust and isn't too 'showroom glossy'

In fairness, I have used them to get the authentic British Rail colours only.  I wouldn't have used them for anything else but for what I wanted, so far they have done the trick.

I never thinned to the level you have when using them but I use a bigger airbrush nozzle, two coats have usually been enough. They produce acrylics and varnishes too, I think satin is in their range.

F

Fenlander

I never thinned to the level you have when using them but I use a bigger airbrush nozzle, two coats have usually been enough. They produce acrylics and varnishes too, I think satin is in their range.

Local shop only stocks the enamels, it if they do stock the acrylic, I didn't see them and they were out of stock of the varnish, only had matt.  But no worries, they are working fine.  Had a bit of a masking issue on the doors this morning but nothing that cannot be sorted.  Bonnet needs another coat after attaching the side panels but the mockup below shows how it will finally look.

I have learned do much from this build, patience being the biggest........

WP_20160531_12_03_06_Pro.jpg

K

kintosh

Excellent Graham that Bedford front end synonyms with that era used on everything from dust carts to removal vans. Good work.

Bob

P

Polux

Really nice model Graham.

xD  I have a Land Rover Series painted on the same colours and logos  xD

Last edited: