Engel U177 IX D2

C

cplnobbie

what problems are you having with the seal on the wtc as that's what i'm building now.

S

Screw Loose

\ said:
what problems are you having with the seal on the wtc as that's what i'm building now.
Hi there cplnobbie, I had considerable problems with the Rubber "O" ring on my Typhoon. Honestly if I can give you one pice of advice about it, file it in the round filling cabinet on the floor. And replace it with a Neoprene rubber gasket!:thinking:

My "O" ring came adrift a few weeks ago, and let a large amount of water in. I know others have had no bother with it, but I would honestly bin it. And make sure your screws are 100% sealed and solid fixed in place, as I had a leak through the threads on mine. I had to remove them with everything in place, and replace them with butterfly clips screwed in from the top.

I was told about the Neoprene by Mankster, he used it on his, and its been great on my Typhoon.

Paul

S

Screw Loose

\ said:
:thinking:Where did you buy you Gasket from please.
Hi cplenobbie. I got my neoprene sheet from RS components. Its a trade place, I am not sure its open to the public. If your self employed or know anyone that is, get them to register.

But I am sure you can get it from other sources. You may want to ask Mankster, he may be able to source it for you.

Here is a picture of mine. if its any help to you ?

Neoprene2.jpg

Gives it more of a good seal in my experience. And since the bolts go through the gasket, less chance of it coming adrift.

Paul

C

cplnobbie

Solo did you put a breather tube in you WTC on the U177 please and if so can i see a picture please.:grinball1:

B

BZZ-K-AGH

Hello to all, I have joined the site today, and just a quick message to say Hi, as my profile says I am a Strongman and Bodybuilder, with an interest in R/C modelling of all kinds, my main interest is Submarines, mainly the U-boat, I am an ex RN submariner hence the interest., I have been building model subs for the past 6 years paying great attention to detail. Hope to get some tips at a later date.

S

Screw Loose

\ said:
Hello to all, I have joined the site today, and just a quick message to say Hi, as my profile says I am a Strongman and Bodybuilder, with an interest in R/C modelling of all kinds, my main interest is Submarines, mainly the U-boat, I am an ex RN submariner hence the interest., I have been building model subs for the past 6 years paying great attention to detail. Hope to get some tips at a later date.
Welcome to the site, its always good to see someone else interested in the odd hobby of model subs! Also good to see an actual submariner on here, think someones bound to be asking questions about detailing there subs in the future :thinking:

Paul

B

BZZ-K-AGH

Hi, I have recently built the same model and currently up to the Conning tower. if you run into any problems maybe I can help.

R

Radnor

This is solo now signed up as Radnor.

Well its two years on and due to personal reasons and family bereavments all work had to stop on the project. Everthing is fine now and decided to resume work on the model again.

I would imagine all have finished theirs now.

I have stripped mine down and it looks in a sorry state but nothing that cant be put right. if there is still interest i will continue to post progress and pictures. I have decided to make a radical change to the wtc lid as i hate the way the old one fixes and will post pictures when made

B

Bunkerbarge

Hi Radnor, It's good to have you back. Sorry to hear about the family issues but we all, unfortunately, go through them and have to pick up the pieces afterwards.

I'm glad you are continuing with this model, it is a stunning piece of engineering and will make a fantastic model when completed. I have been saving up for the type VII for a couple of years now and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Looking forward to seeing this progress again.

F

Fenlander

Always interesting to see these R/C builds. Although I do not do them myself, I admire the work and expense you guys put into them so I for one would love to see it come back on the bench.

R

Radnor

`Spent this week working out a way to fix the access plate. I have decided to use 40mm clear polystyrene sheet. the way i have designed it the bolts come nowhere near the seal and do not come through the inner deck. i enclose a rough drawing. All i have to do now is get up the nerve to cut it

View attachment 20890

View attachment 27899

plan1.jpg

Last edited:
R

Radnor

The re positioning of components and a complete rewire continues, nearly there dive tanks tested all servos ok need to tidy it up a bit now. View attachment 21374I can now reach all contacts and electricals when the hatch is open.:cheesygrin: Couldn't before. All the polystyrene sheeting is cut and that will be my next job.

View attachment 28309

wire1.jpg