Error

M

Mark Prior

Hi, I'm new to making models. I'm presently building a revell self propelled artillery gun. I've made an error, this has stopped me in my tracks. Are there any tricks to too undoing the modelling cement? Someone please help!!

D

dubster72

A lot of it depends on the part & where it is located Mark. If you're using normal styrene cement, then the join is effectively welded & won't be easy to separate.

Sometimes a very sharp blade can be used to cut in along the join or cut directly along the join. Obviously this will affect the parts concerned, but some filler helps to repair when rejoining.

If you can provide more information or some pictures, I'm sure more help can be found.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A lot depends on the parts joined and the type of glue.
If it is one of the thicker types like the Revell or Humbrol that comes in a plastic bottle with a needle applicator and it is set hard then the only way to move on is to cut it off and glue it back correctly. Tamiya make an extremely thin saw blade that is very good for this kind of job.
If its one of the thin watery like glue's like Tamiya extra thin, and it has been used very lightly, you can sometimes just wiggle the part and the joint goes. Also, rather conversely a second go with the glue can often soften the glue enough to pry the pieces apart befor the plastic softens and sticks it back.
As a new comer, I will give you a good bit of advice, hey that's why we are here.
Dry fit, check the plans, check the part and dry fit again. Once you are happy its the right part, the right way round, in the right place and more importantly, fits, then you go for the glue. As you have now learned, its a lot harder to dismantle than to build. lol.
I have been building models for longer than I can remember and still bodge things once in a while. My big problem is doing things in the wrong order and finding out after that it was not as good an idea. On the good side, I more often than not find the error befor its to late.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
If it is one of the thicker types like the Revell or Humbrol that comes in a plastic bottle with a needle applicator and it is set hard then the only way to move on is to cut it off and glue it back correctly. Tamiya make an extremely thin saw blade that is very good for this kind of job.
If its one of the thin watery like glue's like Tamiya extra thin, and it has been used very lightly, you can sometimes just wiggle the part and the joint goes. Also, rather conversely a second go with the glue can often soften the glue enough to pry the pieces apart befor the plastic softens and sticks it back.
As a new comer, I will give you a good bit of advice, hey that's why we are here.
Dry fit, check the plans, check the part and dry fit again. Once you are happy its the right part, the right way round, in the right place and more importantly, fits, then you go for the glue. As you have now learned, its a lot harder to dismantle than to build. lol.
I have been building models for longer than I can remember and still bodge things once in a while. My big problem is doing things in the wrong order and finding out after that it was not as good an idea. On the good side, I more often than not find the error befor its to late.

It's the old carpenter's rule innit?

"Measure twice, cut once".

M

Mark Prior

Thanks for the advice! Did what you said, filed edges where I made cut then reattached. Looks perfect, well it will once I've painted it. Thanks again