ESCI 1/35 M60 - A1 Blazer..."RPG, 10 o'clock.....Get it!" Lebanon 1982

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi all,

Here is the start of a diorama to compliment my IDF M60-A1' Blazer tank, which you might have seen on here recently.

I didn't want the tank to be a stand alone, so here's the build so far.

I've decided on a bit of a straight forward street scene.

The M60- A1.

P1160276.JPG

The initial design. I start with a correct scale figure in a doorway and work around that. Made from polystyrene, It's about 16" long. The detail is scribed in with a modelling knife.

P1160256.JPG

P1160257.JPG

I stuck bits of polystyrene here and there to break up the back of the buildings, then a first wash of cheap children's acrylics, worked into the cracks to show the detail a bit more.

P1160270.JPG

Here I've added some woodwork and reinforcing bars (coffee stirrers and electric cable wiring) I painted the back of the model to give a bit of depth.

P1160293.JPG

A close up of the re.bars

P1160295.JPG

I've stuck some bits of polystyrene on the wire here and there to replicate chunks of concrete.

P1160296.JPG

I had a play and made a broken concrete beam with a few blocks hanging on for dear life......

P1160305.JPG

The finished section.

P1160306.JPG

P1160301.JPG

Here's the almost finished building and squeeky clean pavement.....All ready for perhaps more damage, rubble and all sorts of stuff. From this point it is up to the builder just what to add......all that is needed is a bit of imagination.

'Crack a can' time and have a think!

P1160309.JPG

P1160310.JPG

.....even got a roof - perhaps just for now, I'll see.P1160311.JPG

That's it for this stage.

I hope you like the build so far, and thanks for looking in.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good as usual. Longing to see what your imagination comes up with.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great work ,Ron.real like the look of this ,so far,and always up to your  usual stranded, :D

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks folks, I'm glad you approve of the opening phase.

Ron

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
As always your royal Ronness, a superb start and great skill.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Bob. The bars are simple enough to do, but they kind'a add loads to a build - I hope!

Ah, a commoner is speaking!....Si, thank you, now get off your knees good fellow, and bring me the Port bottle!

Right, I've been a'lookin' at the overall layout and something was not right. I decided there was too much road and there needed to be something else added to break things up a bit, so.....

Here's how it looked. I decided last night I wanted a bit more than just a 'backdrop', as seen here.

P1160329.JPG

So, as it is raining this morning, I've spent the time making this...Again made from polystyrene, with the window surrounds and cracks engraved with a modelling knife. A good prod through with a screw driver and bullet marks made with a nail. All painted with a good slurry of watered down, cheapo acrylics.

About 3" at it's widest point, I designed it to be just a bombed out shell. It's cheese shaped to fit in one corner of the base at an angle. I didn't want a parallel street line. 

P1160321.JPG

P1160328.JPG

P1160327.JPG

Collapsed floor with bars all over the show. I've still got chunks of concrete to add, but this is the basic building.

P1160324.JPG

Here it is fixed in place.

P1160325.JPG

The tank added to get a feel for the look of the thing.

P1160326.JPG

A top view to better see the overall layout and the angle of the additional building...I think It's made all the difference to the general look of the model.

P1160335.JPG

Never be afraid to alter, drastically add or remove stuff from a diorama. If you think it don't look right, it ain't!

Almost ready for all the rubble and God knows what else I'll think up to fling at it....all good fun.

Thanks for looking,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Fantastic! O.o

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
As ever Ron, this looks great. Can't wait to see what develops.

D

Deleted member 3568

Yep as always ultra superb work from the genius that is Ron, us mere mortals squirm and slither at your feet.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Just caught up with this build Ron. Very effective, it looks great.

R

Rik101

Great looking dio indeed, love the exposed rebar.

Just a thought tho. Have a look at the core of a plastic coated wire tie of this type.

plastic_coated_wire_ties_634546965282518539_4.jpg

I stripped a core out of one the other week and thought it would make decent looking rebar. See what you think.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the complimentary and amusing posts everyone. Especially our good buddy Ken's. That did make me chuckle, Ken!

Rik, good suggestion, I've tried those tie wires before, but to be honest I found them a bit of a bind (see what I wrote there?) to strip. I prefer the electric cable copper wire. Miles of it for nothing, and as bonus it comes in various 'scale' diameters too.

Thank you for the idea none the less. I appreciate you taking the trouble to post the photo too.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
In this next stage, I'm starting to try and add some detail to the general damage.

Here's three shots of the damage to my 'cheese slab' building. I've given the walls another slurry coat of paint and added some more concrete lumps to the re. bars.

P1160341.JPG 

P1160345.JPG

P1160346.JPG

The right hand end. I dug up the pavement with a screwdriver, then gave it a dark wash of acrylics

P1160347.JPG

Here I've added more bits of concrete, shifted the edging kerbs about, and added a collapsed wooden floor, made from coffee stirrers and card. I then did a bit of splatter.

P1160344.JPG

....a close up of the pavement damage. Again hacked with a screwdriver and painted with a well watered wash, so the paint would soak in well.

P1160349.JPG

Still plenty to add, but it's a start.....

The sun is finally out here, so time to do some leaf raking - again!

Cheers all,

Ron