Extruded Foam & where to get it?

First Name
Euan
Hi folks,

Here's my second daft question post.

I'm looking to get involved in diorama setting for my models & it's all new to me so I'm a bit swamped by the options.

I'm looking to do snow scenes (Eastern front, Ardennes) & desert ones, don't think I'm brave enough to do trees & grass, though if anyone can tell me how to make trees I'm all ears.

For the bases I'm hearing that extruded foam is good to sculpt with & seals easily with pva, do any of you folks use it & where's the easiest place to get hold of some?

I see it on auction sites but can't seem to find it elsewhere... I'm I being thick? Does it have another name?

Cheers

Euan

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
you should be able to get in any good hardware shop,

the best way to use it so its not to open bubbled,is to compress between to bits of wood

and i the top bit that will be removed,have a sheet of newspaper so it dose not stick to it,

so have your base size,stray the foam down,and around in the middle,mosty,then pop on the

newspaper,then the top wood with some think like i phone book on top,but wait till it start to rise,

then if any hole,s or missed bits,just fill in a like wise way, ;)

hope this help,s

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I used to use it for making play-boards for my lads Warhammer.

I got mine from Ebay IIRC. Try modelers foam, that may bring up more items.

Here is a link to some, but there are others: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTRUDED-STYROFOAM-BLUE-FOAM-BLOCKS-MODEL-MAKING-SCULPTING-FREE-POSTAGE-/271155025909?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3f221957f5

Si:smiling3:

N

noble

You can get the insulating foam board from B and Q Wickes and any proper hardware shops like this.

scott

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
You can get the insulating foam board from B and Q Wickes and any proper hardware shops like this.scott
Nice one Scott, I knew I had bought some from else where but could I hell as remember...it was indeed B & Q-thanks to your post.

First Name
Euan
Thanks for the link, I'm probably setting myself up for a huge fall, but I'm looking forward to giving the diorama scene a go, I'll maybe just use one of my old models first to get started though.

Thanks again

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Thanks for the link, I'm probably setting myself up for a huge fall, but I'm looking forward to giving the diorama scene a go, I'll maybe just use one of my old models first to get started though.Thanks again
Dio's are a funny old thing, some folk take to them and enjoy them, I prefer them than making models to be honest. First thing is to get your board and then lay out in pencil where you want everything to go, don't make it too crowded-if you do this you can then play around before you start sticking. Most of all, have fun!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Do you like Pizza? If so, check out some of Ron's dios! (Spanner570)

First Name
Euan
I've checked out all the threads that you kindly pointed me to.

All I can say firstly is I have so much to learn, but also its amazing how you have inspired me to be bold & use my imagination, there's no right or wrong way to do things, I get that now.

I'll try a lot of your methods to get me started, though I didn't realise that my waistline would increase in the search for pizza base foam

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
though I didn't realise that my waistline would increase in the search for pizza base foam
Next time you go to the pizza shop try the following order:

"Large pizza to go please. Polystyrene base, no topping" :D

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The acoustic foam for putting under wood flooring is a low calorie alternative.

Ian M

First Name
Euan
"The acoustic foam for putting under wood flooring is a low calorie alternative.

Ian M"

Good idea, but the by products wouldn't be as tasty as a triple cheese:smiling3:

D

Deleted member 4203

\ said:
"The acoustic foam for putting under wood flooring is a low calorie alternative.Ian M"

Good idea, but the by products wouldn't be as tasty as a triple cheese:smiling3:
Euan, I should've said, if you want to quote someone's post, you can click the reply button at the bottom of their post ;)

First Name
Euan
\ said:
Euan, I should've said, if you want to quote someone's post, you can click the reply button at the bottom of their post ;)
Oh thank you.

And I though I was doing so well finding the little smiley face thingso_O

Regards

Euan