F-16A "Tigermeet 98"

0ne48thtel

0ne48thtel

Yesterday was spent painting it. For some reason my compressor has suddenly developed a fault. I say the compressor because when I first noriced it I changed Air brushes and the problem persisted. It runs fine when there is just water or thinner going through but when I put paint through it phut phuts which in turn fires small blobs rather than a fine mist. I have tried thinning the paint down some more but it seems it still does it.

This has resulted in an awful paint job and fifnish on this kit. I am in a mind to strip it back as I was wanting the finish smooth and not mottled as can be seen in the following pictures.View attachment 83654

View attachment 83655

View attachment 83656

View attachment 83657

View attachment 83658

There is a couple of tape marks that now show up I hadn't notices as well.

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

D

dubster72

That's a shame Terry! I'd be inclined to strip it back coz you know it'll bug you if you persevere with it as is.

I'd been thinking of doing an F-16 so knowing this is a decent kit is very handy ;)

btw what paints are you using? Vallejo?

0ne48thtel

I am very inclined to strip it back Patrick as I want a really smooth glossy finish. Before I do though I need to phathom ot what the hells wrong with the compressor/Airbrushes. I have done all the usual ie stripped the brushes down given them a good clean. Drained the tank on the compressor. it seems to of just happened so not sure what I can do. I might have to put a thread out on the airbrushing section.

0ne48thtel

Okay now I am up and running with the A/b's again I have decided to paint over the mess on this and go away from the tigermeet scheme.

Instead I will look for another F-16A to do this on. With this kit the way it is I intend to repaint over it as is and use it on a board to look look like it is either being kept in storage or ready to be stripped at AMARC. The decals from both kits will be swapped so I get to do the tiger scheme.

Tonight I will paint a very basic grey scheme then over that paint white to look like the coating airframes get at AMARC.

The board will be very simple using some sand and a few tufts of grass. The airframe will then be sat on a couple of planks as they are when n storage to stop sinkage.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That's a shame Terry, but a good idea to use it as a stored machine.

0ne48thtel

Ah well Joe sometimes kits don't go the way we want or expect but I think the stored machine is something different.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Yep, I know someone who did an A-4 Skyhawk in white to look like a stored machine and it looked pretty good. The idea of a base will bring the life it needs

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Terry, a massive pity you did not use the tiger meet scheme, I've seen one of these aircraft before, and it would look great on a model.... Waiting for you next pending Tigermeet build.

John

0ne48thtel

That will start next week as I am waiting for another F-16A to arrive. Then I will swap decals over and start again.