Fenlander's 1/350 Revell Bismarck

G

Graham D

Cheers Graham but that is exactly what I was trying to as I said in my post. I have always used the tack with superglue and fill with PVA. Fir some reason, I just cannot get this stuff to work with the superglue.

I should learn to read posts more carefully. I had the same problems with my last build regarding cyno not sticking PE. I thought it was just me

J

John Rixon

Have you tried a gentle sweep across the surface of the PE with some 1000 or finer wet &dry? May just give the surface enough key to grip to, some of those PE sheets are mighty shiny and smooth!

J

John Rixon

...also, the deck might look nice, but check the scale of the planks and caulking... The grain of the teak would be completely invisible at this scale, and the colour of them is, in my opinion, all wrong. Having sailed boats for years with teak decking, even after a good scrubbing with bleach your powder, they are basically a greyish brown, but mostly grey, albeit very pale!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking real good Graham. The wooden deck does look the biz but at the end of the day a model is judged on the whole and I guess it's your choice as how best to get the best result. Choose what you do, with the quality on show so far, it's bound o be good.
Keep up the great work
P

F

Fenlander

...also, the deck might look nice, but check the scale of the planks and caulking... The grain of the teak would be completely invisible at this scale, and the colour of them is, in my opinion, all wrong. Having sailed boats for years with teak decking, even after a good scrubbing with bleach your powder, they are basically a greyish brown, but mostly grey, albeit very pale!

I agree about the scale thing but Scale isn't everything. To keep to scale I would have to sand the plastic deck totally smooth as the lines and plank ends are just as pronounced, if not more so, in that as the wood. We cannot work to scale or aircraft would have no panel lines below 1/32 scale. Modelling is about creating an illusion, much more fun than trying to replicate scale ;)

F

Fenlander

Well, this is coming as close to beating me as anything I have ever built! Nothing wrong with the kit at all but I am doing the worst modelling on it that I have done in years!

Spent another two hours today trying to attach the brass railings to a very small deck piece. It was broken in so many places but finally went on. Ten minutes later I picked it up to check the join when it broke again. I am not ashamed to say I lost it and ripped the whole lot off.
DSC_0139.JPG

I then replaced it in five minutes with the plastic fencing and yes, it is not in scale but it fits and it looks a hell of a lot better than the over fragile brass.

DSC_0140.JPG

I can see more of the plastic stuff being used no matter how overscale. At least it has shape and form and doesn't snap when you look at it lol :D

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Now that is a shame, but at that scale it will test the sanity of a Saint!:confused::eek::smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Time to sit back and do something else for a day or two Graham?
My Hood is considerably bigger in 1/200 and it is testing me as well. I can fully understand your grief as he PE for your one must be tiny! Another thing that is testing me is the constant stick two parts together then.... Find you have to paint it befor you can go on to the next part. I now know why I build boats and not ships!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Graham, I built this a few years back and it'll make a superb model without P.E. Modelling is supposed to be fun. No sense in suffering old lad.

I'm not being patronizing either, but I just don't see the point in getting wound up about making a model....or anything else for that matter.

It's not defeatist talk, just a quiet observation and hope you take it as such.

Good luck with the build, whichever route you eventually take.

Ron.

P.S. Believe you me, you will need all your sanity in one piece when you tackle the paper and card 'Belfast'.......:eek:!

P

Plastickitbasher

That PE is looking very tricky, if you can get it to work it'll look good.
Overall looking good

F

Fenlander

Graham, I built this a few years back and it'll make a superb model without P.E. Modelling is supposed to be fun. No sense in suffering old lad.

I'm not being patronizing either, but I just don't see the point in getting wound up about making a model....or anything else for that matter.

It's not defeatist talk, just a quiet observation and hope you take it as such.

Good luck with the build, whichever route you eventually take.

Ron.

P.S. Believe you me, you will need all your sanity in one piece when you tackle the paper and card 'Belfast'.......:eek:!

Cheers Ron I will get over it lol. It will only now have any PE that I feel comfortable with. I refuse to let it stress me, those days are over:smiling3:

Little problem with the Belfast, I have lost it. I think there is a possibility it got thrown out with some magazines but I haven't given up hope it will turn up as I do want to have a go at it. Not too expensive so if it doesn't turn up soon I will order another then it will certainly turn up again:confused:

F

Fenlander

Right. Needed to step back a bit so after taking the dog for a walk, preparing a slow cooked stew for our evening meal and a nap (I really am not well lol), I need a morale boost and the best way to do that is build some layers so I could look at it and make ship noises.......... (did I say I wasn't well?). Anyway, this is it for today, none of the layers are glued down as it needs a splash of paint before I do that.

DSC_0142.JPG

F

Fenlander

Keep at it Graham, It will be sinking the Hood in no time. ( sorry Ian, your build is looking good at the moment :smiling3: )

It is Robert I am worried about, not only building a Swordfish but started on HMS Rodney :eek: 'course, I am not taking it personally :p

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You've given me a good idea for a build....anyone seen that tv program with Richard 'the hamster' Hamond. Connections?
Sorry G. I will stop spamming your thread.
Any progress on bizzie?

F

Fenlander

You've given me a good idea for a build....anyone seen that tv program with Richard 'the hamster' Hamond. Connections?
Sorry G. I will stop spamming your thread.
Any progress on bizzie?

Spam away mate, no idea what you are on about though lol.

No progress on the Bizzy as I wanted to do a simple build after recovering but that has escalated into a couple of build reviews, the Honda CB750F posted in its own thread followed by a car that I have just started this morning. If nothing else crops up during or after the car, the Bizzy will go back on the bench..... or the 1/9 Harley Davidson Dispatch Riders bike...... or the 1/9 Manx Norton 500.... who knows :smiling3:

First Name
Stuart
Hi Graham
I would of thought everyone on this site would of struggled with this sort of thing at one point in a build,i know I have.
hang in there mate take 5 mins out

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
If you wanted to seascape it why not just make say a 5mm or so thick polysterene foam slice which could surround the ship and still leave the bottom intact and undamaged if you then cover the polystyrene with foil and suitably rinkled and creased then painted you know what I mean you should be able to get the best of both worlds that's what I'm intending on doing on my ship builds when I start them

Regards

Colin

F

Fenlander

If you wanted to seascape it why not just make say a 5mm or so thick polysterene foam slice which could surround the ship and still leave the bottom intact and undamaged if you then cover the polystyrene with foil and suitably rinkled and creased then painted you know what I mean you should be able to get the best of both worlds that's what I'm intending on doing on my ship builds when I start them

Regards

Colin

It would work on the Bismarck as it has a fairly flat bottom but even so, it would need about an inch and a quarter to have her level, add another half inch if you wanted her stern down and bow up in a heavy sea. Not out the question but it would be a very thick looking base. Good idea though.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have a friend that built USS Enterprise and set it into an acrylic sheet atop an acrylic box. Shipwreck on the sea bed, submarine in the middle. Bonus, you could see the bottom of the carrier as well....