Ferret

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You can tell in the photo with the Austin Champ that yhe arm of service marking is diagonal, so the red/blue 46s in that set aren’t accurate (and the style of the numbers is wrong for 04BB69, of course).

Going by the second photo of that Saracen, the vehicles weren’t white: the characters on the number plate are clearly lighter than the armour plate they’re on. First the values for the top part of the letter A:

Top of A.jpeg

And at the same height, but between the AoS marking and the number plate:

Between AoS and number plate.jpeg

Since the values for R, G and B are about equal, the colours in the photo are basically grey — not too surprising, of course — and black is 0,0,0 while white is 255,255,255. Clearly, if the characters were white (as they would have been) then the rest of the plate was some pale colour, but not white. A pale sand colour, perhaps? I’m not up to speed on what was used on British AFVs on Cyprus in the 1960s, though.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
And an Austin Champ if I'm not mistaken - never seen a model of one of those!
Steve

Reactions: JR

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
You can tell in the photo with the Austin Champ that yhe arm of service marking is diagonal, so the red/blue 46s in that set aren’t accurate (and the style of the numbers is wrong for 04BB69, of course).

Going by the second photo of that Saracen, the vehicles weren’t white: the characters on the number plate are clearly lighter than the armour plate they’re on. First the values for the top part of the letter A:

View attachment 492721

And at the same height, but between the AoS marking and the number plate:

View attachment 492720

Since the values for R, G and B are about equal, the colours in the photo are basically grey — not too surprising, of course — and black is 0,0,0 while white is 255,255,255. Clearly, if the characters were white (as they would have been) then the rest of the plate was some pale colour, but not white. A pale sand colour, perhaps? I’m not up to speed on what was used on British AFVs on Cyprus in the 1960s, though.
Wow Jakko that’s given me some more investigating to do

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Mick, the vehicles would be painted in Light Stone. (sand yellow), or bronze green.....
The arm of service sign background might have been Black over Red diagonal, with Black at the top and right.
ferret.jpg
Credit Royal Horse Guards.
ferret2.jpg
Credit Alamy, showing Ferets in Cyprus 1963.
AA are doing the Airfix Ferret plus their own decal sheet and etch set from their own Ferret.
Hope this helps
Mike.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Mick, the vehicles would be painted in Light Stone. (sand yellow), or bronze green.....
The arm of service sign background might have been Black over Red diagonal, with Black at the top and right.
View attachment 493435
Credit Royal Horse Guards.
View attachment 493437
Credit Alamy, showing Ferets in Cyprus 1963.
AA are doing the Airfix Ferret plus their own decal sheet and etch set from their own Ferret.
Hope this helps
Mike.
Great pics Michael, by the time of the last pic my dad had been demobbed and was in the police and even better he’d had me for a year :smiling2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the vehicles would be painted in Light Stone.
That fits with it being darker than the white on the number plates, but still light enough that you might think it’s white in black-and-white photos.