Finding the middle of a circle

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Important Note: The method I explain below only works because I happened to get lucky drawing the triangle. See further down this thread for a way that does actually work

I needed to saw a disc (actually a wargames base) in two equal halves, but it didn’t have a clear centre point visible on it.

IMG_2704.jpg

Here’s how to do it. First, draw a triangle whose points are on the disc’s circumference:

IMG_2705.jpg

Make this as large as you can, meaning it’ll be approximately equilateral — though there’s no need to make the corners exactly 60°. Just eyeballing it will be accurate enough. (You could draw the triangle much narrower, but you’ll make things easier for yourself if you don’t :smiling3:)

Next, from each of the triangle’s corners, draw a line that’s at a 90° angle to the opposite side:

IMG_2706.jpg

These three lines should all cross the same point: the so-called orthocenter of the triangle. Because the triangle’s points are on its circumference, this coincides with the centre of the disc.

In my case I just had to saw straight through that to get two halves:

IMG_2707.jpg

but you could of course also use it to drill a hole for an axle, glue something dead centre, or for anything else that requires you to find the middle of a circle.

(With the added note that for cutting a disc in halves, you don’t even need to draw six lines: three will do. Draw two sides of the triangle and then the third line from one of the “open” corners to the line opposite. This will go through the centre of the disc if you do it right. It’s just that it’s easier to spot errors if you do draw all six lines, because you can see whether the ones in the middle all go through the same point.)

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I needed to saw a disc (actually a wargames base) in two equal halves, but it didn’t have a clear centre point visible on it.

View attachment 298589

Here’s how to do it. First, draw a triangle whose points are on the disc’s circumference:

View attachment 298590

Make this as large as you can, meaning it’ll be approximately equilateral — though there’s no need to make the corners exactly 60°. Just eyeballing it will be accurate enough. (You could draw the triangle much narrower, but you’ll make things easier for yourself if you don’t :smiling3:)

Next, from each of the triangle’s corners, draw a line that’s at a 90° angle to the opposite side:

View attachment 298591

These three lines should all cross the same point: the so-called orthocenter of the triangle. Because the triangle’s points are on its circumference, this coincides with the centre of the disc.

In my case I just had to saw straight through that to get two halves:

View attachment 298592

but you could of course also use it to drill a hole for an axle, glue something dead centre, or for anything else that requires you to find the middle of a circle.

(With the added note that for cutting a disc in halves, you don’t even need to draw six lines: three will do. Draw two sides of the triangle and then the third line from one of the “open” corners to the line opposite. This will go through the centre of the disc if you do it right. It’s just that it’s easier to spot errors if you do draw all six lines, because you can see whether the ones in the middle all go through the same point.)

Nice to see a bit of maths! (ex maths tutor). If it's easier for you to do, you don't need to measure the 90 degree angles. Just mark the centre of the side of the triangle and draw from there to the opposite vertex (point of the triangle). The 90 degree line always passes through the centre of the side of the triangle.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nice to see a bit of maths! (ex maths tutor). If it's easier for you to do, you don't need to measure the 90 degree angles. Just mark the centre of the side of the triangle and draw from there to the opposite vertex (point of the triangle). The 90 degree line always passes through the centre of the side of the triangle.

You made me realise I’ve made a fundamental error, haven’t I? I only got the right outcome because I happened to have drawn a triangle that’s fairly close to being equilateral :sad: With any other kind of triangle, neither drawing a line at 90° to the opposite side, nor drawing it to the center of that side will work (both amount to the same thing in an equilateral triangle, which is why Gern’s method may be simpler than what I originally posted, depending on the tools you have available). However, drawing an equilateral triangle is kind of hard to do on any random circle unless you have a protractor of some kind that’s small enough to let you mark degrees actually on the disc, if you’re working with physical materials.

But then why did I seem to remember that the method I so happily recommended, works with any type of triangle? Anyway, scratch that whole method. Rather, try the following:

Draw a line from one point on the circumference to any other point on the circumference. Measure where its halfway point is, then draw a second line through that at 90° to the first line. This line will cross the centre point of the circle. If you need to cut the disc in half, that’s all you need. If you need the actual centre of the circle/disc, make a mark halfway along the second line.

Here’s a quick illustration:

Schermafbeelding 2018-04-30 om 23.59.34.png

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Methinks you're talking yourserlf out of this Jakko. Your method does work with ANY triangle drawn within a circle. The only thing you have to do is make sure that when you draw your right-angled line from the side of the triangle, it meets the opposite vertex (point) of the triangle correctly.

There's a selection of mathematical proofs that state that any radius of a circle bisects a chord at right angles - you don't need the proof but I thought I'd show off a bit of maths knowledge!:smiling5:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It does? I tried, and couldn’t get it to work with a couple of random triangles (other than an equilateral one) — not with the method I originally posted and not by drawing lines at right angles.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
All too technical for me. :confused:I'd just measure the dia and divided by 2, but very informative and will note.Thank you .
John

S

s.e.charles

if the diameter is measured and a compass set to 1/2 D (radius), the center will be the intersection of arcs drawn from any three points on the circumference.

won't it?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
if the diameter is measured and a compass set to 1/2 D (radius), the center will be the intersection of arcs drawn from any three points on the circumference.

won't it?

Absolutely correct, any two arcs drawn that way will give the centre. That's easy if you're drawing on a piece of paper but you might have a problem holding the compass point exactly on the edge of a disc .....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
And that’s why using triangles or straight lines and 90-degree angles work better for modelling, at least you’re not working with plastic sheet before you cut the disc from it.

Reactions: JR
Someone, somewhere posted a link to make a circle center finder (CCF) using a flat base with an isosceles shape made from square plastic glued to it. Mark the middle of the base line.
put the disc into the CCF touching both 'long' sides then lay a ruler from the apex to the middle mark and draw a line on your disc. Turn the disc by 90 degs and repeat. It works for smaller diameters really well especially when you need lots of discs.
I'll try and find the post and link it.
Tom

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Might sound too obvious - but why not draw round the circular object on a piece of paper, cut it out then simply fold the paper in half - if you then measure the diameter and halve it then you get the centre....

or fold it twice and you get a quarter circle with the point at the centre

Mark

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Might sound too obvious - but why not draw round the circular object on a piece of paper, cut it out then simply fold the paper in half - if you then measure the diameter and halve it then you get the centre....

or fold it twice and you get a quarter circle with the point at the centre

Mark

Mark, you beat me to it. I've always used that method. No faffing about. Quarter circle is best.....There again I'm only a thick retired Joiner, so back in my work days I had to have something to hand that was simple and fool proof every time!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Might sound too obvious - but why not draw round the circular object on a piece of paper, cut it out then simply fold the paper in half - if you then measure the diameter and halve it then you get the centre...
Because it’s more work for the same result? :smiling3:

• Haha

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Because it’s more work for the same result? :smiling3:
Jakko, I have come across many who have a problem with rulers, measurements and degrees or simply don't have the instruments so the cut paper is a simple method even for children. I am aware of all methods mentioned here but as an ex art director I'm used to eyeballing the center. ;)
Most of my disc are measuered with a circular template that already has points to cross angulate the centerpoint.
But its good that you've posted this as its very helpful for all here.

Cheers,
Richard