Fine molds X wing in chrome

C

Crankyhorse

Hi

I got this model kit off Ebay and did not realise it was chromed.

I was looking forward to painting it but I have no idea how limited edition the chrome ones are.

I'm not sure what to do with it. I suspect that it will be a bugger to put together and still keep the chrome effect pristine.... am I right or wrong about that?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I know Revell make an adhesive specially for 'chrome' effect plastic so assembling your kit shouldn't be impossible. What will be impossible is to repair the marks you get when cutting pieces from sprues. If these marks will be seen when the kit is assembled then you're stuck I'm afraid.

There are spray paints available (Alclad make one) which will give a chrome finish, so you could strip any parts that have visible sprue marks using household bleach, clean up the marks and then respray. To avoid problems holding parts while spraying, glue the part on to a piece of sprue in an area which will be hidden, then remove it afterwards. That way, the inevitable sprue mark will be hidden when you assemble the kit.

Gern

PS Forgot to welcome you aboard!

C

Crankyhorse

Thanks for the advice. I will look for that glue.

I'll have a good look at the parts and see if it has been designed to go together without the sprue marks showing.

M

m1ks

Have to say if it were my kit i'd bleach dip it, strip the chrome and paint it, I find things like that tacky, chrome should be restricted to the appropriate things, Bumpers, trim, exhausts and so on.

Superglue would stick it, PVA would do without leaving any damage provided you could clamp it securely overnight letting the PVA cure.

An X wing in chrome though, eeeeuuugh, theres not a part of one that should be apart from R2D2 if he's in there.

C

Crankyhorse

I think your right, What d I need to buy / do to bleach dip the chrome stuff off?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You can use ordinary household bleach and your missus has probably got some in the cupboard under the sink. One of the guys here did a video tutorial showing how easy it is:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/tutorials/12110-how-video-strip-chrome-plating-plastic-sprues.html

Gern