FINISHED Eduard 1/48 Focke Wulf Fw 190D-9 Profipack

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I have had the Eduard 1/48 Focke Wulf Fw 190D-9 Profipack LATE version sitting in the stash for a bit now, and I have bought the standard version of Eduard 8184 Profipack Focke-Wulf Fw 190 D-9 along with the Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk IXc late Proipack, so I pulled this out as a replacement biuld for my scrapped Ta 152.

As with all Eduard Fw, they are fiddly, but worth the effort. Careful effort and joining is going in as parts placement is vague and fit is precarious. However, the parts are exceptionally detailed.

I just got the pit and the bare foundations of the forward cannon bay housing the MG 151s done tonight. Hopefully, the cannon bay, engine plug and root wing canons will be finished off tomorrow.

For now that will be all until tomorrow.

Cheers, John

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

Last edited:
D

dubster72

All the Eduard 190s are lovely kits, even if somewhat complicated to build. As you say John, careful test fitting usually sorts out any problems.

That cockpit looks very nice, fingers crossed that this one doesn't go the way of your 152 ;)

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

All the Eduard 190s are lovely kits, even if somewhat complicated to build. As you say John, careful test fitting usually sorts out any problems.

That cockpit looks very nice, fingers crossed that this one doesn't go the way of your 152 ;)

thanks mate, thats the plan.

and yes, although they aren't the easiest kits to put together, they can produce stunning results when test fitted and carefully checked before committing to glue

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Next update. The forward cannon bay and cockpit has been completed. The engine plug took me a solid 2-3 hrs, trying to align things up well so everything would match up. However, this paid off as the engine plug and cockpit slid in without too much problem. The wing root cannons also slid in fairly well after careful alignment. Moulded detail was excellent, with ignition leads for the machine guns moulded in place along with the junction boxes. Overall, despite it's complexity, the kit displays brilliant detailing. A pity they did not provide a full engine bay though. Wing ribbing was also attached to the undercarriage. The root wing cannon bays were also dry fitted with the wings before glue, then was glued.

Cheers, John

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

new update. I dry fitted the wings to the fuselage and filled a gap along the spine. The fit along the wing roots seem to be very promising. The wing root machine gun ports were also washed and weathered appropriately. Unfortunately, I did find a gap on the underside, but nothing serious in terms of filling. More progress will follow tonight.

Cheers, John

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1637.jpgIMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

D

dubster72

I think you're really nailing this one John. Although all of the Eduard 190s I've seen built had a slight gap either at the front or rear of the lower wing.

Looking forward to seeing the paint go down.

Cheers

Patrick

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I think you're really nailing this one John. Although all of the Eduard 190s I've seen built had a slight gap either at the front or rear of the lower wing.

Looking forward to seeing the paint go down.

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks mate, the fuselage to wing root join was pretty smooth, with no problems whatsoever. However, I ran into trouble on the upper cowling, but fixed this up pretty quickly with some filler. There was a hairline crack on the lower surface of the fuselage, but again, this was fixed with filler. 

I decided to do one open root wing cannon bay and do a closed one on the other wing. Everything which was filled was then sanded smooth. Tomorrow a thin layer of primer and then paint will go on. I removed the kit wing cannons and replaced them with hollow aluminium tubing which substitued it very well, with a very pleasing effect. 

IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Meanwhile, I did some research on this aircraft. Yellow 15 was a Fw 190D-9 of a "Wilde Sau" squadron of Jagdgeschwader 301, which worked on the principal of free roaming in the crowded air over germany in "Reich defence". Yellow 15 emergency landed at Erfurt. It was part of 9. Staffel of JG 301.

IMG_1656.jpg

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
'Wilde Sau' was a term for freelance night fighters. This was a concept promoted by Hajo Hermann, he convinced the Luftwaffe to allow him to establish a single engine night fighter test detachment in late April 1943. In JUly 1943 this developed into 'Herrmann Geschwader' code named 'Wilde Sau' in July that year. It was subsequently renamed JG 300.

JG 301, all three Gruppen, was formed during October 1943. They operated as single engine night fighters but by early 1944 they were operating by day and night. Later they were committed to daytime missions against the Americans. I don't think they were flying as night fighters at all by the time they received D-9s and later Ta 152s.

Cheers

Steve

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

'Wilde Sau' was a term for freelance night fighters. This was a concept promoted by Hajo Hermann, he convinced the Luftwaffe to allow him to establish a single engine night fighter test detachment in late April 1943. In JUly 1943 this developed into 'Herrmann Geschwader' code named 'Wilde Sau' in July that year. It was subsequently renamed JG 300.

JG 301, all three Gruppen, was formed during October 1943. They operated as single engine night fighters but by early 1944 they were operating by day and night. Later they were committed to daytime missions against the Americans. I don't think they were flying as night fighters at all by the time they received D-9s and later Ta 152s.

Cheers

Steve

I just found this pic, this is the exact aircraft. It certainly looks as if it did an emergency landing, as the spinner is crumpled up.

btw, thanks for the info. Hajo Hermann interestingly was nicknamed the "rammjager" and "jet rammer" after he ran out of ammo in his 109 earlier on in the war and sliced up a mustang's fuselage with his prop. Later on, he rammed a B-17 or a liberator with an me 262 after he closed the distance too fast with his jet and could't pull out due to it's speed. Funnily enough, he survived all of those encounters. 

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D9-3.JG301-Yellow-15-WNr-500666-Germany-1945-01.jpg

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Next update-it is now primed with Mr hobby Sirfacer 1200.

The filler was also sanded over.

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

pre shading done now....

Panel lines were also rescribed using an RB productions ScribeR where filler had been extensively applied.

IMG_1662.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1664.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There is an important detail missing from the profile/instructions you posted for Yellow 15. You can just about see it in the photograph you posted and it is more obvious in better quality versions of the image. In front of the yellow of the fuselage band is another narrow white band. This was an alternative I Gruppe marking authorised by Fritz Auffhammer, who was aware that Allied Intelligence had deciphered many Luftwaffe tactical markings. There is another photograph taken from the port rear quarter (with one of the MG 131s resting on the stabiliser) in which the white band is even more obvious.

I would expect the undersides to be the greenish version of RLM 76, based on other known aircraft from this werknummer block. Upper camouflage 82/83 (in the still current modelling terms for RLM paints). The gun cowl is the late three piece version, quite unusual for an aircraft from the Mimetall factory.

Cheers

Steve