FINISHED Eduard 1/48 Focke Wulf Fw 190D-9 Profipack

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

There is an important detail missing from the profile/instructions you posted for Yellow 15. You can just about see it in the photograph you posted and it is more obvious in better quality versions of the image. In front of the yellow of the fuselage band is another narrow white band. This was an alternative I Gruppe marking authorised by Fritz Auffhammer, who was aware that Allied Intelligence had deciphered many Luftwaffe tactical markings. There is another photograph taken from the port rear quarter (with one of the MG 131s resting on the stabiliser) in which the white band is even more obvious.

I would expect the undersides to be the greenish version of RLM 76, based on other known aircraft from this werknummer block. Upper camouflage 82/83 (in the still current modelling terms for RLM paints). The gun cowl is the late three piece version, quite unusual for an aircraft from the Mimetall factory.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the info steve, but it was just a hair too late. I have already prepped it for it's decals

I have airbrushed this with my Iwata Hi Line HP CH airbrush, and painted it RLM 76 light blue and RLM 81 Green Violet. The undersides recieved some bare metal according to the instructions. The rear tailplanes haven't been painted yet as they have to be painted in RLM 83 and 76. The RLM 76 and 83 wasn't sprayed to fully cover the pre shading and paint, as I wanted to give it a faded look.

Meanwhile, I assembled the undercarriage and added some brake lines. Everything was rescribed prior to the painting process.

Cheers, John 

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

Last edited:
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

There is an important detail missing from the profile/instructions you posted for Yellow 15. You can just about see it in the photograph you posted and it is more obvious in better quality versions of the image. In front of the yellow of the fuselage band is another narrow white band. This was an alternative I Gruppe marking authorised by Fritz Auffhammer, who was aware that Allied Intelligence had deciphered many Luftwaffe tactical markings. There is another photograph taken from the port rear quarter (with one of the MG 131s resting on the stabiliser) in which the white band is even more obvious.

I would expect the undersides to be the greenish version of RLM 76, based on other known aircraft from this werknummer block. Upper camouflage 82/83 (in the still current modelling terms for RLM paints). The gun cowl is the late three piece version, quite unusual for an aircraft from the Mimetall factory.

Cheers

Steve

btw, I just had a closer look, and can see the white band, but as you said, it is not the easiest to see it, and escapes an untrained eye...

Thanks for all the useful reference though

John

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Next update, haven't had much done, but put most of the identification stripes on except for the yellow band. Concerning the identification stripes, much thanks goes out to Steve (stona) who has helped me concerning the referencing and historical accuracy of it

I have finished the camo painting and have done some of the stencilling concerning the decals

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

This is now finished, and now in the completed builds thread.

Last edited: