Finished - Rick's Argentine A4 Skyhawk by Airfix

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I finished my A4 Skyhawk this afternoon and took these photo's. It's IPMS night tonight so I'll take it along to see how it fares against all of the other excellent exhibits. The standard is exceptionally high so I'm not banking on winning anything in this category. I'll just have to be content with the two certificates I have for my locomotive weathering.

This is the first plastic model aircraft that I have built in over 20 years and I'm quite pleased with the results. Next up is the SIG Tiger Meet build. Gulp!

Comments and advice are always welcome.

View attachment 65399View attachment 65401View attachment 65402View attachment 65403View attachment 65400

View attachment 66529

View attachment 66530

View attachment 66531

View attachment 66532

View attachment 66533

DSC05258.jpg

DSC05259.jpg

DSC05263.jpg

DSC05250.jpg

DSC05262.jpg

O

omi1966

20 years, once you have it you never lose it, very nice.

martin.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice job Rick. Did you use a gloss varnish on it before applying the decals? The numbers at the front seem to have silvered a little in the photo. Otherwise a very sharp paint job and nicely done.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
very nice indeed

always had a thing about scooters :xyxthumbs:

muerte al enemigo que vuela

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Joe,

I had a bit of trouble with the paint on this. I primed the model with Halfords white then humbrol anamel for the underside. So far so good with a lovely finish. Then I masked and used humbrol dark earth for the first part of the camouflage followed my modelair dark green. Mixing your medium is a grey are for me and I had some clouding on the dark earth. Next I applied a vallejo black wash then humbrol's new Clear gloss and applied decal. The clear didn't come up shiny at all, even after three coats. I used humbrol decalfix on the decals then another coat of Clear but still no shiny finish. I finished with a neutral wash and sealed with matt varnish.

So, this build was more about trying new stuff and seeing what works and believe it or not I expected to make mistakes, I did and I'm learning from them with the advice and help from all you guys.

Thanks for all your support, comments and advice - it is invaluable.

T

tecdes

Very nice Rick.

Not a supporter of mixing mediums as so much seems to go wrong.

After 20 years that is remarkable.

Laurie

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
First class job Rick............. :score: from me matey.

Peter

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Laurie. I must stress it's the first model aicraft I have done for a while. I've knocked up plenty of 1/72 four tonners and land rovers as well as a few railway wagon kits and buildings so it's mostly skills transfer that has brought this about. I got some pleasing comments from some of the IPMS members tonight.

It came third in its category.............out of three entries!!!!!.

First Name
Aaron
Nice job buddy. I dont know much about aircraft but youve turned out a nice one. The base looks superb...nice paint o it

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top looking scooter rick , great work , cheers tony

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Rick I like the A4 and you have made a very good job of this one. I'd be pleased with this one now never mind being the first one for 20 years

I'm also looking forward to you Tiger SIG build ( no pressure )

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
First class model, you wouldn't think this is your first after 20 years away from model building. Well done, I really like it.

Si:smiling3: