Fire Optic Star destroyer help needed

C

Crankyhorse

I have had an old AMT ERTLE fibre optic star destroyer in a cupboard for years and am thinking of actually building it.

The drill is there but the bit is broken. Does anyone know what size drill bit I would need as a replacement?

I was thinking of using Blue LEDs for the engines and white for the windows.

Also, because of its age, does anyone know if these kits are a bugger to make?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi there. I've got this kit in my stash so I dug it out to have a look. I reckon my drill bit is also broken as there's only about 3 mm of drill sticking out from the plastic sleeve.

I've checked all the instruction sheets and bits of paper, but the actual size of the drill isn't mentioned anywhere. There is an order form you could use to order replacement drills at $5 for a pack of two but the address given is the original address for the AMT company. The address is: Drill Bit Offer, c/o Graphic Resources, Inc., PO Box 2786, Cedar Rapids, IA 52406-2786, although I doubt whether they're still there!

Just looking at my drill, I'd guess the size is just under 0.5 mm diameter. I've got a pin drill and a set of drill bits like this one:

20PC Titanium Micro Twist Drill HSS Suit Airfix Models | eBay

As and when - if - I start this, I'll be starting with my smallest drill and working up 'til I find a suitable size. I would not have thought that the size of the hole for the optic cable was too critical. You're going to have to fix them in place with a spot of glue ( I'd push the cable right through the hole and apply a drop of glue to the back of the hole, then pull the cable back gently until the end is flush with the surface. That way, you're less likely to either block the hole or cover the end of the cable with glue). So as long as they don't 'rattle around' in the holes, anything close will do.

Can't tell you anything about the build quality, but I hope this helps.

Gern

C

Crankyhorse

Thanks. I'll have to order them bits. I'm also off to Maplins to sort out the white LEDs I will need. I have the Blue ones already.

When I have worked out the resistors needed I will let you know if it helps.

K

kitbox guy

Just a suggestion,but when you glue the optical fibre through the hole,leave a little sticking outtill after you paint and finish kit.You can then trim this off to leave a fresh ,non painted,optical fibre end.It makes it all a lot easier and is what I did when I built this kit about a few years back.

D

dean_567

i'm just about to start this model myself; any photos of your progess Crankyhorse?