First Airbrush

I know.. Been asked 1,000,000 times before...

Anything wrong with this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Spraymaster-High-Detail-Gravity-Feed-d-a-Airbrush-Kit_W0QQitemZ300375416177QQcategoryZ28111QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BIEW%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D11%26ps%3D63

I nearly bought an airbrush last Christmas and didn't.. I fancy getting back into building and want to up my game a little ;)

Thanks... Scott

D

dubster72

Hi Scott, that one looks ok-most of the ebay stuff is much of a muchness! You might want to check out this one (I can't seem to paste the link) item number 300358402884 it's cheaper plus you get an extra single-action AB too. I've had my eye on it for a while & I'm hoping the missus has picked up the hint! Patrick

T

tctopcat

You could try this kit the company were good to deal with too!

G

Gladiator111

Hi Scott, I bought the same airbrush kit that Patrick refers to and it's very good for the price. It's my first airbrush so I have nothing to compare to such as the Harder and Steenback that TC topcat mentions, though I can only guess its not as good. However, it has'nt failed me yet (fingers x'ed) and that's after 6 months use. The mini inline watertrap filter is must if you're working in the garage as it captures water vapour that gets past the compressor before it arrives at the airbrush. I believe most of the compressors suffer from bearings failing and most require a lot of tlc, so this one was cheap enough to try out airbrushing without breaking the bank and if it breaks it's not a disaster. Hope this helps.

Chris

That's what I thought.. All about the same!!

I'm looking to spend sub £100 at this stage. This does look a good deal..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300358402884&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D300358402884%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

D

dubster72

Yeah, thats the one that Chris has got & the one (as per my first reply) that I'm hoping will appear in my stocking on Christmas Day! Mind you, if that does happen, I'll spend most of the morning trying it out!

Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
I know.. Been asked 1,000,000 times before...Anything wrong with this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Spraymaster-High-Detail-Gravity-Feed-d-a-Airbrush-Kit_W0QQitemZ300375416177QQcategoryZ28111QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BIEW%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D11%26ps%3D63

I nearly bought an airbrush last Christmas and didn't.. I fancy getting back into building and want to up my game a little ;)

Thanks... Scott
I'm in the same position as you Scott...Should I or not?

I've always use brushes and enamels+turps, this is why I get cold feet just when I am considering buying an A/B.

I don't like acrylics and only have a couple of bottles languishing somewhere! When I read of the problems some folks have when on the learning curve, i.e. acrylics + A/B, I intend to stay well clear...

So my question is simple to experienced users of A/Bs. Can you apply enamel paints (suitably diluted) with an A/B?

Please don't suggest using acrylics 'cos I wont!!

I suppose this will seem a daft question to some, but please understand I've never even held an A/B in my life!

Sorry if I have stretched your thread a bit Scott, but it seems reasonably relative to your question.

Cheers,

Ron

Well I am looking at acrylics to go with it.. The Vallejo sets are looking good?

I was going to get a couple of £10 tank kits, at £25 paint set and see what happens!!

D

dubster72

Hi Ron, you can AB anything as long as it's thinned down correctly. I think Steve (stona) will be more able to advise on the ins & outs on this coz I'm sure he referred to using enamels before moving to acrylics (and if it wasn't him, it was someone!) I will be looking to get rid of my Badger soon if the missus comes through with my new kit so if you do take the plunge, let me know-it's a good, simple AB for 1st-timers (and old-timers!) he he

Patrick

Well now you have done it :smiling3:

Bought an airbrush, some Vallejo paint kits to get me going, masking tape, cleaning and thinners.. Oh and a few kits.. Anyone would think it's Christmas :smiling3:

S

Slim

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice on this forum and this thread in particular. I've been lurking here a while after getting back into modelling and was tempted by what people were saying about airbrushes. So finally decided to buy myself a late christmas present and bought one of the airbrush/compressor sets from airbrush essentials above. What a difference!! It arrived yesterday and tried it out for the first time last night on a Mercedes SLR I'm in the middle of. It's just fantastic and it all went very smoothly and was easier than I had anticipated. I'm sure it will get harder as I try more difficult tasks!! But to anyone who is considering it, go for it, you will not be disappointed.

F

Fenlander

Hi Slim and welcome to the forum. Keep us posted as to your progress, there are plenty of people at the point of going AB, myself included. All experience be it new or old is great for people making up their minds. Look forward to seeing some results.