First ever tool box

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
well I have successfully made my first ever tool box with PE
You may snigger but I am impressed with this new PE bending tool and as they say the correct tool for the correct Job
Before I would rarely use PE because of inexperience and expense " ping " and the carpet monster gets it never to be seen again
I'm impressed and thought I'd show you and see what you think

Robert
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

First Name
colin
Better than my first attempt with bending p.e. mate

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
That looks like a "Bug".o_O

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Good work Robert, which bender do you have?

It's the mini bender from John at Scale Model Shop ( it's really the tool for these jobs IMHO
You can rotate the top to your desired use ( comes with blade that's very sharp to push under and fold
Well made and very accurate to the job required

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I use a 'bug' it's a nice bit of kit. Good work on the tool box.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
That's the one

Cheers Robert, I'm looking at investing in a bender at the moment, I have a couple of kits with full Eduard PE so though I had better get the right tool. I'm actually looking at the Hold & Fold 5 speed, I'm hoping that will be big enough for anything I want to do in the future. :smiling3:

First Name
Gwyn
I have the Mk4 also by "The small shop" , they are really well made and do a great job. I like the tool box, it looks great.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Cheers Robert, I'm looking at investing in a bender at the moment, I have a couple of kits with full Eduard PE so though I had better get the right tool. I'm actually looking at the Hold & Fold 5 speed, I'm hoping that will be big enough for anything I want to do in the future. :smiling3:

I think the bug will do most PE parts for tanks and such up to 1/35 scale possibly larger but I think if your looking for larger pieces say for ships etc then a larger bender would be advisable.
For a reasonable price I have found the bug all that it says on the tin so to speak
The only larger kits I have are the 1/32 Mossie and the 1/32 Tempest but I'm confident once I get all the PE for them it will be adequatE for my needs.
The only large kit I'll be using PE on is 1/400 Revell German sub
Hope your search is not too painful

Regards

Robert

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Robert. A phrase often used in my other hobby (target shooting) is buy once, cry once. I might never need the larger tool, but if I do I won't have to buy twice. :smiling3:

M

-Matt-

I've been out of the loop for a bit, what is PE and whats the multi sided tool thing in the OP's post?
Matt :smiling3:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
PE is short fir photo etch
This is deatailed brass plate that will replace certain parts in the kit like handles of tool boxes
It is designed to enhanced through lit detail and normally comes with instructions on painting and folding.
The best way to fold this fret once trimmed up etc is by using a PE folder like the "bug "
This device is like a high powered press but in miniature
Once the fret is in place you can create 90 degree angles ? Make a box for instance
Now glueing this piece to plastic can be achieved by using super glue or even PVA glue.
Once in place and dry it can be painted with an airbrush or normal brush painted. It is advisable to prime with primer first before painting for a better result
If a brass finish I personally would repainted the PE

Hope this helps

Robert

M

-Matt-

Ah that's quite excellent thank you! I shall have a look into this as I like the idea of making up things like that where plastic card doesn't seem to work or is appropriate.
Can't for the life of me figure out how the folder works so I'll have to look at how it does it :smiling3: