Fl;y 1/32 Hurricane II

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This will be my next project. It's a fairly limited run so called multi media kit, so we'll see how it all goes together.

In the box you get several sprues of plastic, I think by Sword, another Czech company, which looks nicely done with good surface detail. There is a bit of flash, but no problems with the molding. I'm not sure about the curious brown colour, not that it will matter.

There is some nice resin from a company called Artillery. I've already removed a large casting block from the wheel well insert, it will probably require further thinning.

Next a couple of frets of photo etch and a clear plastic sheet for the  instrument panel.

Clear parts look okay, I've seen better but also a lot worse!

Decals for 6 options come in their own bag. There is also a sheet with colour profiles of all 6 (nice) and one showing the position of the various stencils.

Finally some instructions typical of this sort of kit. They assume some knowledge of the subject. The colour coding for plastic/resin/PE is a nice touch.

If I can find this thread again in the new format I'll post progress as I go along :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have seen some reviews of this.  The instructions are vague about some placements and as a limited run kit the fit is also often vague.  Major parts apparently go together well though.  i look forward to seeng how this comes together.  love a good Hurricane...

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
I fancy a 1/32 Hurricane, so will be very interested to see how this kit builds.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have seen some reviews of this.  The instructions are vague about some placements and as a limited run kit the fit is also often vague.  Major parts apparently go together well though.  i look forward to seeing how this comes together.  love a good Hurricane...

I've seen someone building one on LSP and I think he'd agree about the fit :smiling3: To be honest I'm not expecting it to fit like a recent mass production kit. The last kit I built was entirely resin, albeit a rather good one, and I'm expecting something more like that.

I do agree that the instructions are a bit vague, particularly as to the exact position of various bits, some of them quite major. I've got a few references and plenty of photos, so fingers crossed, I should be okay.

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Will definitely watch this one Steve. The kit looks good.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Nice one mate, I have the 1/32 Ar 234B-2 by the same manufacturer, so will be watching how their engineering is.

It is nice how they used a lot of injection moulding on this one. My Ar 234 only has around 3-4 sprues and over 20 chunks of resin, which evidently will make things a lot harder for construction.

Will be watching this one closely. btw, the brown colour is on my ar 234 as well and their Bachem Natter, so I think that is a common feature

Also will be interesting to compare it to the Trumpeter Hurricane

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've made a start on the cockpit. The tubular structure will be finished in an aluminium colour which is why I haven't added the seat which, at the moment, I'm planning to do in British interior grey/green.

Now there is a load of photo etch to add......oh! the joy!

Two points! First, this took hours, mostly due to the large amount of fiddly cleaning up to be done on all the tubular bits. Second, good luck if you choose to follow the construction order in the instructions :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
It's looks fiddly but worth the effort Steve. I think the pe parts really make a difference.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
You have my interest....... :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice choice Steve. I read about this kit recently, it's quite a new kit I believe. A 1:32 Hurricane could sit nicely next to my Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire. But no, I must kill the stash first.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Steve

Looking forward to seeing this come together. I've got the trop version waiting in the wings. It'll be interesting to see how this compares to the PCM Hurries.

Cheers

P

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got the basic cockpit frame together and the IP is a work in progress. The two fuselage halves seem to go together quite well, so I'm hoping to have the fuselage together later this week.

Cheers

Steve

IMG_1677.JPG

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've joined the fuselage halves without too much drama.

Some of the parts aren't quite as drawn in the instructions and there are quite a few locating bits which are drawn but don't exist on the parts which makes life interesting! To get the cockpit framing at the correct height I made some locating tabs of my own (invisible now, that's the point!)

This does mean that some of that cockpit tubing extends below the fuselage.

This is realistic as the top of the wheel well forms a 'floor' under the cockpit tub. There were even a couple of cut outs so that the pilot could visually check the undercarriage position. It did however make me check the fit of my resin wheel well insert, once dry fitted to the lower wing centre section. The result is that I have had to thin the top of the resin insert until it is paper thin and translucent. It does now fit.

It's the sort of thing you have to check with these kits, it's only a problem if you don't :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Really interesting to see the progress on this kit and hear of the problems encountered with these multi-media kits.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Methodical thinking and working wins the day Steve, and as always you show us how to do it with your builds.

this one is coming along very nicely.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've had a little time this morning, so I've started to attach the wings.

I've used a system I have often advocated, particularly for kits where the fit might not be absolutely perfect. I am attaching the upper wings to the fuselage before attaching the lower wing/wheel bay/landing light assembly. You can see on the side to which I have yet to attach the upper wing some thin card, which gives the wing something to bind on.

This gives me a nice wing to fuselage join on the upper surface, certainly no nasty step, and any problems will occur along the leading edge, possibly underside, where they are much easier to deal with.

I can also still get inside the wing if I feel any further reinforcement is required.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: